Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 17, 2017

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 -- Mattie died 383 weeks ago today. 


Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2005. This features another classic Mattie situation. Mattie loved bath time, so much so that after it was over, he wouldn't get out of the tub. Mattie never took a bath without a ton of toys in the bathtub with him. They weren't even tub toys, they could be vehicles, legos, or whatever he had in mind to build a play scenario around in the water.


Quote of the day: After you find out all the things that can go wrong, your life becomes less about living and more about waiting. ~ Chuck Palahniuk


Palahniuk's quote is so poignant. Anyone who has dealt with our health care industry knows all about the waiting game. You can get scanned and then have to wait what seems like an eternity to get the results. The stress of waiting for results can actually make you physically ill. It is hard to describe this unless you have been in such a circumstance. But for someone like myself who has seen the WORST go wrong (with Mattie getting cancer and dying), I find that I do live in fear that something bad is about to happen. After all, no one expects their six year old to visit the pediatrician with a sore arm, and a few hours later hear..... your child has cancer. This reality has changed my life forever, clouds how I look at every situation, and most certainly has taught me volumes about hospitals and their culture. 

Later this afternoon, my mom alerted me that my dad's doctor wanted him to have an emergency ct scan. Naturally that put all of us on the edge and until one gets results, the edge is where we will remain. I think not knowing sometimes is even worse than hearing the results. If that is even plausible. Not that there is much I can do, but being across the country is not a great place to be when issues arise such as these. I know all too well the power of support and what is needed to manage through these unbearable moments..... and here we wait.  

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Thinking of you Vicki as you wait. I know first hand being a plane ride away instead of by your mom & dad's side adds extra stress to the waiting. I am thinking of you, your Dad & Mom.

Thanks in the midst of your worry about your dad for posting this beautiful picture of Mattie🌻