Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 17, 2017

Friday, March 17, 2017

Friday, March 17, 2017



Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009, on St. Patrick's Day. One of Mattie's friends gave him the glasses, headband and necklace. So Mattie was decked out for the day, ready to visit the cancer clinic for treatment. I still have the headband and glasses, in fact if you look in the cabinet photo below, you maybe able to see them displayed in Mattie's memory shelves. 








Quote of the day: Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths. ~ Charles Haddon Spurgeon



Every year around Mattie's birthday, Peter and I leave town. Leaving town becomes more complicated when you have animals. Fortunately for us, Indie is easy going and loves staying at our vet. She loves them, and they love her. So I don't worry about her. Sunny is a whole other story. 

Sunny is a VERY sensitive creature. He has bonded with me and frankly I can pick up when he is anxious. The place I take Sunny for grooming, is a lot like Dogtopia (where Sunny was today). However, when Sunny enters the facility where he is groomed, it is visibly noticeable that Sunny is anxious, because he shakes with fear. He doesn't react that way to Dogtopia, but he isn't exactly calm there either. This is Sunny's second time at the facility. I am trying to get him used to it before moving to a full week of boarding. Notice where Sunny is in this photo. At the 9 o'clock position, which puts him in front of the door to the room. Meaning he wants out!!! The beauty of this facility is that there are webcams and I can assess how Sunny is doing for myself. 

Peter was also watching Sunny through the Webcam at work and noticed that Sunny gravitated to the man at the 6 o'clock position. That is the owner of Dogtopia. Everyone who works at Dogtopia however is friendly, dog centered, and wants to make the experience positive for each dog. 
When I picked up Sunny this afternoon, the staff agreed with me that he is anxious. Which was a better response, since the grooming facility believes it is me who is making Sunny anxious. Which isn't true, I am getting anxious from his reaction. As Dogtopia said to me today..... Sunny wasn't around me all day, and the anxiety is coming from him. Since I wasn't present for him to feed off of.

Sunny refused snacks today at daycare and spends most of the time by the door. So I will be bringing him back next week for more visits, so he understands that being there is temporary. I even spoke to the general manager today. She asked how long I had Sunny and where I got him. Once she learned he was a rescue, she felt that being in a room with other dogs may remind him of being in a shelter, which could trigger his anxiety. So I am not sure what to do with Sunny. I can't imagine boarding him at a kennel, where he is locked up in a cage for a majority of the day being a positive experience for him either. 

Take a look at the toiletries coming in from all over the USA. All these items will stock our free snack/item carts at local hospitals. It is wonderful to see this pile and it my hope it will double by April! 

To see our WISH LIST, go to:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2UQOK4GY955ZL/ref=cm_wl_list_o_1?

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, I feel anxious for Sunny, wishing I had a solution for you! It is odd the groomers, would pass the reason Sunny is anxious off on you!
It is not only people who are anxious and anxiety comes as a result of a situation or person reminder. Animals, much like people, stick close to people that make them feel happy or safe. Which is why Sunny hangs with the person at dogtopia. I know Michael's dogs were anxious while they watched them pack. We tried to help with that by holding them but more so we both sat in the room with them watching them pack, while holding them. I watch Rounder go from a calm dog yo shaking all over. When he did this he would leap onto one of our laps or sit so closely as the shaking would subside. Hoping that each time you take Sunny, he becomes more bonded with someone and becomes calmer because though he is left, you return. I totally understand your thoughts on this!

I loved the picture of the Irish Mattie!!! Also in reference to your post about the life span of a butterfly - I had no idea of this short life span until our visit there in January. Yet, the butterfly has long been a favorite of mine. I can't help but put the image of a butterfly and the Pediatric Oncology patients whose own life span ends up to be way too short together!