Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 13, 2017

Monday, March 13, 2017

Monday, March 13, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2008. It is hard to believe that three months later, Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. Mattie came home from school the afternoon this photo was taken, and it was too beautiful of a day to spend it inside. So we went out into our commons area and flew a big dragonfly kite. Ironically Mattie and I found just the right place to stand in our commons area that would lift a kite up into the air. These were special moments and I appreciated them then, but they have a different context now. 


Quote of the day: Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind. ~ Henry James


There is a lot of truth to Henry James' statement, but being kind is not always easy. Depending upon the circumstance it can be downright impossible. I had the wonderful experience today of receiving unexpected kindness (the best kind), and then later in the day I had to rise to higher ground and provide kindness. Which I will try to explain without elaborating too much. 

Our car needed its six month service today, and while waiting for it, I went to a nearby Starbucks. As I was sitting an older gentleman made eye contact with me and smiled. Later before he left, he came up to me to tell me that he wanted to give me a compliment and asked if that was okay. Who doesn't accept a compliment? Well in today's day and age, I maybe surprised by that answer. Anyway, he wanted me to know that he thought I was an elegant lady and then proceeded to hand me his business card. He is a photographer and asked if I ever needed the service of a photographer to contact him. I was very cordial but did not share anything about myself. As the day wore on I felt saddened to know that we live in a society where we can't freely communicate with each other because there are potential dangers with safety. Now of course this man may have been as nice as pie, but you never know. So I feel the inner conflict of the need to be kind and yet cautious. 

Meanwhile later in the afternoon, I found out that another non-profit group wanted to replicate a service Mattie Miracle offers. That wasn't the issue I had, the issue I had is I approached a local hospital and asked to work with them. In reality I had asked this other hospital twice! Each time, I was turned down and was told the service I was suggesting wasn't needed at their hospital and that they did not have the staff to fulfill this service. I can't argue with NO. Now I learn that this other childhood cancer foundation wants to use our model and this hospital is allowing them to bring in this service. The same service which I was told.... NO! You can imagine my shock. If the hospital had just said.... another organization is going to provide this service to us, I would have accepted it. But to say our service wasn't needed or of value to them, is where I take issue. Especially since I know that it is a very successful service that we offer at other hospitals. There are two options..... either I could be snippy about this or two I could move to higher ground and try to help this non-profit establish the service, which will ultimately benefit children and families. I chose to be nice, because my goal is for families to get support, it shouldn't matter how or who gives it to them. Yet of course, I am still not pleased with the way this hospital managed this gift we wanted to provide.  


Sunny had his grooming today! Look at this handsome fellow. His groomer always gives him a festive bandanna, which she makes herself. Sunny is ready for St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: