Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 14, 2017

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 -- Mattie died 391 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. Mattie had just been diagnosed a few weeks before this photo was taken. Pictured with Mattie was Margaret. Margaret was Mattie's first preschool teacher and we all hit it off splendidly. So much so that within that first semester of school (in 2005), Margaret and I developed a friendship. As she used to say, I was one of her "dear" friends and she felt that she only had a handful of them. Margaret died three years ago of ALS, so it is hard to imagine that both she and Mattie are now gone. I post tonight's photo because today would have been Margaret's birthday and we always celebrated that occasion together. 


Quote of the day: The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole,but true beauty in a Woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she knows. Audrey Hepburn


It is absolutely frigid today and we spent the day at home. Almost quarantined doing what else.... work! Peter was home from work because of the snow and Sunny did not know what to make out of both of us. 

I took a photo of a handmade doggie shamrock cookie that Sunny's groomer makes for her special customers. She considers Sunny special. Who could blame her. In any case, the cookie was demolished within minutes. 
On our walk outside this afternoon, I saw a cute snowman that our neighbor's children created. I think he is absolutely adorable! But I rather see no snow in March!
Look at the poor daffodils through the snow. I am not sure how they are going to make it! One thing I learned however is that Sunny doesn't like snow. He doesn't like walking in it or through it which makes it difficult for potty runs. 

In the midst of walking Sunny, I also learned that DC rats love to come out in the snow. Some of them are as big as cats in the broad daylight. Sunny wanted to catch them, so we had to have a meeting of the minds because I don't want to come anywhere near a rat. Much less chase one. 

2 comments:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,

I am so sorry about your friend Margaret. While you have talked of her and of her diagnosis & death, seeing this precious picture of her with Mattie puts total emotion in my thoughts. Your quote was beautiful about a beautiful woman! I did not know her or Mattie but looking at the full of life picture of both of them, makes it seem impossible, death could have claimed both their lives๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’–

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,

I usually don't go back and add to what I have already written. However, I must tell you how much the picture, you posted of Mattie & Margaret affected me. They are both gone way too soon especially, of course, Mattie. But remembering your good friend with the lovely picture and words about your friendship is so touching. So many people just move on with their own life. After a few years, people like Margaret are forgotten. But you too, are a memory keeper! I feel so fortunate to have your friendship. You too, care!