Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 17, 2018

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 -- Mattie died 461 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken at the end of June in 2008. Literally weeks before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. As you can see, we took Mattie for a walk on Roosevelt Island. That day Peter and Mattie climbed off the boardwalk and onto a fallen tree log. Needless to say, any adventure and especially breaking up the routine was always up Mattie's alley.  


Quote of the day: But nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it. Calla Quinn


I think loss and grief are even more challenging to manage as time goes on. In fact the adage that time heals all wounds is simply ridiculous and it is a platitude that the rest of the world spits out at us just for levity purposes. Because the reality is...... time does the exact opposite. 

Surely I can remember back to the first year of grief. Back then grief was physical. It permeated through every part of my body, and just doing the basics was the ultimate chore. However, during the first year, I was just trying to live.... to keep breathing, eating, sleeping, and getting dressed. That is really as good as it gets after losing a child. However, with time, I began to do these daily tasks by rote. No longer did I need help or coaxing to meet my physical needs. However, by year two, the reality of the loss was felt in a much more profound way.... both cognitively and emotionally. It is this later form of grief that takes over and STAYS. I would like to say thoughts and feelings lighten with each year from Mattie's death, but that would be untrue. In fact, I would say each year provides new and unexpected emotional challenges. Take today for example!

I met some friends today for lunch. Two of these women have children who just graduated from high school, and will be starting college in the Fall. I knew they wanted to go shopping after lunch, but I did not put two and two together....to equal... shopping for dorm room items. With me, I can go through the motions and look fine doing it. But it is after the activity is over, that I process what I just experienced and then trouble ensues. I can have a mixture of emotions, such as being sad that I will not have the opportunity to watch Mattie graduate high school, go to college, and do these normal activities. That is on one hand, but unfortunately there is another hand. The other hand is about anger and insensitivity. I can easily feel that people have set me up for these emotional falls, and wonder why they aren't more considerate. After all, if I can go shopping for dorm room items and share in that joy for them, why can't they in return reflect upon how such an activity affects me? 

In the past, my anger would take over and I would or could lash out. Over the years though, I have learned that this can be counter productive. I realize I can never truly help people who have healthy children realize the scope or extent of my loss. I can't change them and at times when I have brought up these feelings, instead of providing insight, it somehow got turned back around on me as having the problem. 

Therefore, the only thing I can do is control my own thoughts and feelings. So the question is how? I have two choices.... remove myself from such activities that could be perceived hurtful or participate and be faced to deal with the consequences on me. In reality, both of these answers are valid, and at times I apply one technique (avoidance) over the other (participation with emotional consequences) depending upon the circumstances and activity. With regard to today, if I understood the nature of our meeting today, I most likely would have chosen not to go. The only thing participating resulted in was making me see how different I am from everyone else. 

No comments: