Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 13, 2018

Monday, August 13, 2018

Monday, August 13, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken on August 25, 2009. It is hard to believe that this photo was taken about nine years ago, as I can remember this moment in time like it were yesterday. It took me a long time to be comfortable enough to let Mattie ride "Speedy Red" on his own. As you can see, I was taking photos and actually running along side the car just in case my attention was needed. Given that Mattie had oxygen and a pain pump connected to him, I felt the need to be extra cautious. Mattie absolutely loved the feeling and freedom of driving on his own. He was a natural, using the steering wheel, gas pedal, and brake beautifully. 


Quote of the day: Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. ~ Will Rogers


I found several photos today in one of the bureaus in my parent's house. I posted several of them below. As many of you know, this is a photo of our cat, Indie. Indie is a tortoise shell type cat and the reason Indie caught my attention on the rescue kitty website was because I grew up with an Indie type of cat. 
This was Allie! Allie came into our lives when I was in high school. Allie was a fantastic cat and like Indie was easy going. Yet very vocal and had a way of making her needs known. 
When I was in high school, I was living in Los Angeles. We literally had three cats! All of which were stray cats. The cat on the left was Rusty (and we brought Rusty with us when we moved from NY), the cat in the middle was Whiskers and the one on the right was Allie. Both Whiskers and Allie were strays who came to our doorstep and were quickly adopted. 

I can't say I remember ever seeing these photos. So finding them today was a real surprise. I was outside our home in New York during a snow storm. 
Myself and my grandma, trying to do some shoveling! My maternal grandmother lived with my parents after her husband died from cancer. So she was an integral part of the family and a great side kick. Despite our age difference. Do you notice the dog between us? That was our collie, Heidi. 
My grandmother and Heidi (the collie). My grandmother was 71 years old in this photo and as you can see, the snow did not slow her down. My grandmother believed in doing things herself and was very nurturing. Two qualities I shared with her.  
A photo of myself and grandma, when I was in college. 
I found this photo of Peter and me (my mom was sitting to our right) on our first Princess Cruise in 1994. 

No comments: