Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 14, 2018

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 -- Mattie died 465 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken on August 12, 2009. By this point Mattie already had his sternotomy to remove tumors in his lungs. However, despite all the best efforts to treat Mattie medically, we knew that he was losing his battle in this photo. Nonetheless, Mattie's care providers encouraged us to work Mattie's lungs, which was what this photo captured. Mattie wouldn't do it without one of us doing it with him. So Peter joined in..... illustrating two boys on a spirometer!



Quote of the day: When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die.  Eleanor Roosevelt


This photo was taken last year, as Peter and I celebrated my parent's wedding anniversary. Though Peter isn't with me this year, we are both taking my parents out to dinner tonight with friends. I am taking them back to the same restaurant we went to last year, because it is a beautiful garden setting and a special experience. 












Meanwhile, this afternoon we went for a light lunch. We went to a landmark tradition in Toluca Lake, called Paty's. Which is basically a 1960's coffeehouse, which has been serving local celebrities for fifty years. 

While we were eating outside today, two fire trucks pulled up and parked right by the green umbrella you see in this photo.  

Out from the trucks came about six Los Angeles Department firefighters. You could just see the camaraderie among them as they sat down together to eat lunch. In addition to that, they were all clean cut and very respectful men. How do I know? I know because I observed how these responded to patrons in the restaurant. Literally when patrons passed them on the way out of the restaurant, they stopped to thank these men for their service. Not just a thank you, but some people went on and on about the heroic feats these men perform on a daily basis. The firefighters listened and thanked them, but it was clear that they love what they do and helping their community. 

On our way out of the restaurant today, my mom stopped to talk to the men and thanked them for all the work they did to put out the fires in the foothills. Hills that are in the backyard of my parent's home. They responded with smiles and appreciated my mom's comments. As she was talking to them, I went back into the restaurant to track down their waitress. I told her I wanted to pay their entire bill. She was very sweet and thanked me for my generosity to them and to her. She then took it upon herself to tell the firefighters what I did. So when I left the restaurant, they literally asked me if I was the person who paid for their lunch. Several of them said I was too generous and they couldn't accept this gift. I told them to drop it, as I strongly believe in supporting people who freely give of themselves to help and serve others. With that, the fire chief got up to shake my hand and was visibly moved by my gesture. So much so that he could hardly talk. 

So here's the moral of the story..... sometimes the greatest gift you can receive is the feeling one obtains from giving to others. I know how I felt when a stranger bought dinner for me and my parents on Saturday at a dinner theater. That was a random act of kindness and the funny thing about an act of kindness.... it is contagious. 

No comments: