Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 29, 2018

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old and we took him to his first fall festival. This particular festival featured a petting zoo. Check out Mattie's face! He did not know what to make out of this HUGE pig. I tried to encourage Mattie to pet the pig, but that did not go over well. Instead, I just described the texture of the pig's coarse hair to him. Mattie was a combination of scared and intrigued here. 


Quote of the day: I feel the capacity to care is the thing which gives life its deepest significance. ~ Pablo Casals


Peter and I are headed to Dallas, Texas tomorrow. We have been invited to attend a two day psychosocial training.  I have only been to the airport in Dallas before but have never stayed in Texas. Naturally with us being away, we have to think about our furry family members! They can not stay home alone. 

I am not sure who gets more anxious about taking Indie and Sunny to be boarded.... the animals or me!!!! It's a toss up. Thankfully Peter was home to capture Indie and get her into her cat box. It isn't a pretty process and literally our walk-in closet was turned upside down, as Peter was trying to coax her out of the closet. Sunny of course is more compliant, as he has no idea where he is going until he actually gets to Dogtopia. In fact, as soon as we make the turn onto the facility's street, you can sense his anxiety. Sunny definitely has separation anxiety and it shows up as soon as someone tries to take him away from me. He will work hard to make a b-line for me and gives me that look which tells me he is ready to go home. It isn't that he doesn't like Dogtopia, it is simply the fact that he rather be with me. He is an emotional fellow and we feed off of each other. 

Of course one of the beautiful things about Dogtopia is their webcam. I love checking in on Sunny while I am away. So not only do they text message me daily, but I can see him for myself. 

Can you see him? Sunny is lounging on a cot at the 7 
o'clock position. A strategic spot, as this puts him closest to the door out of the room. 

No comments: