Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 23, 2018

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2002. Mattie's pediatrician encouraged me to have Mattie spend time each day on his tummy. Mainly because Mattie wasn't crawling and had no desire to crawl. She felt he needed to strengthen his tummy muscles. But here's the thing I learned about Mattie. I couldn't make him do anything he wasn't ready or comfortable doing! Mattie had no desire to crawl, but was very focused on walking and weight bearing on his two feet. Mattie bypassed crawling altogether. This was the story of Mattie's life..... when Mattie was ready, that was when things were going to happen. His own time schedule ruled and I learned as a mom to not get wrapped up with standard pediatric milestone dates and times. 


Quote of the day: When the world around me is going crazy, and I'm losing faith in humanity, I just have to take one look at my dog to know that good still exists. ~ dogareloveon4legs.com




Last night I was in a foul mood when I got home from dinner. Sunny seemed to understand that something was off. So he followed me upstairs and stayed close. Well closer than usual. I did not even get a chance to change, because as soon as I sat on our bed, Sunny jumped up and sat right next to me. He is such a smart and emotionally sensitive fellow. 




It's quite a weather weekend of more rain and cooler temperatures. Thankfully we both bought real rain coats yesterday, as we were out and about in the rain today with Sunny in tow. 

We are slowly working on getting our candy storage unit up to speed to manage sorters and tons of candy. I don't think storage spaces were designed for volunteers, but we are always avant garde. We bought special battery powered lights to brighten up the space (since the units have NO electrical outlets) and by the time volunteers transcend arrive in November, there will be stations for unsorted, sorted, and binned candy. It is a major operation in a 10x30 space. 


We took Sunny for a walk in the rain and then headed to Mattie's school to check out memorial tree #4, which was planted on September 8th (the anniversary of Mattie's death). This white swamp oak is looking very good and is clearly appreciating all the rain. 
The tree already has some changing leaves! So clearly in a matter of weeks there will be no leaves on this baby tree. Yet we are making plans to plant bulbs around the tree (tulips, crocus, and daffodils), as it is always a wonderful treat to see these flowers sprouting up after a long winter. 


No comments: