Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 26, 2018

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2007. We took Mattie that weekend to Glen Echo Park in Maryland. They have a lovely Dentzel Carousel which Mattie always enjoyed, especially picking out which animal he was going to ride. Typically we took Mattie to see a puppet show at the Park, followed by the Carousel. The puppet company in the Park is incredible as the theater designs their own marionettes and does a memorable performance for kids and adults! I just love Mattie's smile in this photo! 




Quote of the day: People are like stained - glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within. ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross


After two weeks of rain and grayness, the sun came out today! Of course now as I am typing this, we are having a major rain storm. It was glorious to be outside today with Sunny. Unfortunately Sunny cut the bottom of his paw pad the other day. I took him to the vet and she feels it will heal on its own. But she cleaned out his paw and has him on antibiotics. Sore paw on all, this boy loves his walks. He hobbles a bit, but you can't keep a good boy down. 

I had a follow up visit with my physical therapist today. She feels that by Friday I will know if the cortisone will work for me or not. The hope is it will, and that if we can keep the inflammation in my hip socket at bay, that I could potentially live with a torn labrum. But if the cortisone doesn't work in three days, then we know I have an issue that only surgery will repair. So I take it one day at a time and religiously do my exercises at home. 

Peter and I are headed to Dallas, TX on Sunday. We have been invited to attend a training called Bright IDEAS. One of our researchers developed this intervention which is being offered to parents caring for a child with cancer. The goal being.... to improve problem solving skills and thereby reduce parent distress. The intervention is offered to families by a psychosocial professional, but the research team has decided to include some non-profit advocates in the training this time. They want to get more direct feedback from parents. So at this training, we will be surrounded by clinicians. Though these are psychosocial professionals, I have found that they think differently than parents. Mainly because there is a divide between providing care and being the recipient of it. Though I think skills training can benefit most of us, I have concerns about how and when such skills are offered to parents who are actively supporting a child with cancer. 

All I know is when Mattie was in the hospital, I could hardly talk to anyone, much less have visitors enter our room. As Mattie got sicker, his desire was for isolation and no noise. If someone would have approached me to participate in skills based training, I most likely would have thrown them right out of the room. Thankfully not all parents are like me, but I have to believe my experiences and insights can help tailor this intervention. It should be an enlightening experience and I am trying to enter it with an open mind.

No comments: