Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 19, 2019

Tuesday, February 19, 2019



Tuesday, February 19, 2019 -- Mattie died 492 weeks ago today
Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. Little did we know at that point in time that Mattie was dying. It is almost hard to believe when you look at that smiling face. Despite the bald head, he looked like the picture of health. Mattie loved his sandbox. In fact, that evening we ate outside, while Mattie was playing. To this day, this sandbox sits outside our deck door, and many of the children in our complex play in it. 


Quote of the day: Dreams say what they mean, but they don't say it in daytime language. Gail Godwin


I received an email today from a friend. A friend who actually knew Mattie when he was healthy. This particular friend has a Mattie dream at least once a year and remembers it. I am lucky that my friend always tells me about it. This is what she wrote to me today.........................


I had a dream about Mattie last night. I was walking outside from one building in the complex to another. I noticed a small boy peering inside the sandbox (the one outside our deck).  The lid was quite heavy for him and he was struggling to keep it up while looking inside at the same time. As I got closer I stood there frozen looking at him-it was Mattie about 6 years old and quite healthy! He came over to me and said... I remember you. I crouched down to his eye level, and he smiled at me. Confused I asked Mattie, what are you doing? With a serious look he told me he got very sick and pointed to the window and said that was my room…see? I looked in the direction he was pointing, and he then said I like to watch my mommy. I looked back at the window to see if I could see anyone and when I looked back, he was gone.


As I was reading this message, I thought at first it was just cute or rather coincidental that my friend has these dreams. But when I read that the dream involved the sandbox, and Mattie saying he was watching me through the window, it made me pause! Actually, the whole notion gave me chills, because look at this photo I took today. 

From my office window, I can look at the green frog sandbox, outside our deck door. So from my friend's dream, it sounded as if Mattie watches me through the window as I am working from his sandbox. Who is to say this isn't happening? Who is to say it's just a dream.

In fact, I told me friend that her dream seemed more like a message than a dream. Because the way in which she recalled the dream and the words she used to describe the dream seemed more like something Mattie would actually say to me. 

I think there are things in life that we don't always understand and certainly when grieving the death of a child, which makes NO sense to begin with, anything is possible. I like the notion of Mattie playing in his sandbox and him watching over us/me. So I am sticking with that vision tonight. 

No comments: