Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 8, 2019

Friday, March 8, 2019

Friday, March 8, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2005. Mattie was almost three years old here! At this point, Mattie was IN LOVE with tub time. So much so, that it was practically impossible to get him out of the tub. He could stay there an hour, and become water logged. Every toy possible was free game to be tossed into the tub. Some days, the tub was like a car wash, as there was always a theme! All of this is quite ironic because I would say for the first year or so of Mattie's life, he did not like the feeling of water on him. Bathing him was next to impossible. With Mattie.... he was typically all in or all out. Not many shades of gray. 


Quote of the day: Believe in yourself. You are braver than you think, more talented than you know, and capable of more than you imagine. ~ Roy T. Bennett


Still haven't passed the kidney stone. Each day I hope to have movement so I can avoid surgery. Since I saw the doctor on Tuesday, someone from his office has called me each day thereafter. For different reasons, but I like the fact that someone is checking in. Now I also have an infection on top of the stone, so that was today's call. 

I am not sure what someone is supposed to do when they have a kidney stone, other than comply with fluid consumption and other medical advice. But one can't stop living, or shirk responsibilities. I had a five hour licensure board meeting today and I knew we were going to have multiple agenda items. 

I thought the meeting was going to be much harder than it was, but I had the opportunity to interact with a member of the public today and I saw amazing growth in her since we last spoke to each other. I am not going into details here about the issue, but what I came away with is that what I do matters. The meeting made an impression on me because what it shows me is that people can listen, change, and improve their lives. Needless to say, I left the meeting on a high note.

Later in the day, I received an invitation from Mattie's school to take part in a Social Entrepreneurship Summit. It is one-day summit for high school students throughout the Washington DC Metro Area who are interested in brainstorming, creating, or expanding a social impact business or nonprofit organization.  Specifically I was asked mentor students, as the school considers me an experienced social entrepreneur. 

Given the week I have been having with stone pain, today's meeting and then this invitation perked me up! As Bennett's quote points out tonight, it's important to believe in yourself, but I must admit it is nice to receive tangibles sometimes to confirm this. 


No comments: