Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 26, 2019

Sunday, May 26, 2019

Sunday, May 26, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2007. We took Mattie to Pennsylvania over Memorial Day weekend. Because Mattie LOVED trains, we took him to the National Toy Train Museum. Mattie enjoyed the whole experience, especially seeing trains up close and personal. Near the museum, there was also the Red Caboose Motel. Literally train cars have been converted to hotel rooms, which Mattie thought was great. We always joked about coming back and staying in one, but of course a year later, Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. 


Quote of the day: A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.Christopher Reeve


This morning we attended the Bates College graduation. I have never been to the campus before, but we wanted to make the journey up to celebrate our nephew, Nat's graduation. As we arrived on campus, we got to see Nat proceeding in with his 469 other classmates. Peter snapped this photo!
The ceremony lasted for about two hours. What started as a cool day, turned out to be bright and sunny. We took a family selfie. From left to right:
Will (our nephew), Nat (our nephew), Chris (Peter's brother), Sydney (our niece), me, Lisa (my sister in law), and Don (Peter's dad). In the front are Barbara (Peter's mom) and Peter. 
Nat with his siblings and parents. 
Peter and me with Nat. After the graduation ceremony, Bates had a luncheon buffet outside for the graduates and their families. It was a major production, but very nice for the campus to provide lobster rolls and other goodies for everyone. 
After graduation, we drove about an hour to Waterville, Maine. The rest of the family was staying at a camp by a lake. So we visited them there and had dinner together. 

Of course we are happy to spend time with our nephews and niece and to see them grow and mature. Yet I would say that happy events always give me pause. I pause because I am reminded of who is missing and who we won't be seeing graduate. I saw parents all around me today watching their children graduate, clapping, cheering, and helping them pack. I can absorb all of this but that doesn't mean I don't also feel the loss. 

I would have to say that Maine is not for the meek. It is very beautiful, but very rural. Trees everywhere and frankly since I navigate by landmarks, I would be lost here ALL the time. As every road looks exactly the same to me. We see signs along the road for Moose and deer, and can only imagine these roads at night with no lights.  
My view while Peter was driving back to the hotel. I am thrilled we drove before the sun completely set, because I truly think the four legged creatures own the roads at night. 

No comments: