Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 19, 2019

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2004. Mattie was two years old. You may think looking at this photo that Mattie was resting in Peter's lap! Actually..... NO! Mattie had two switches, on and off. There was nothing in between for him. Mattie was running around our home and literally jumped or crashed into Peter's lap. It was just a momentary pause before moving again. But it was long enough for me to capture Mattie NOT moving on camera. 







Quote of the day: When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~ John Muir


I noticed today that my email in-box was filling up with messages from fellow childhood cancer advocates. Many of whom were saying they checked out our website and wanted to learn more about our Psychosocial Standards of Care. Specifically requesting phone calls with me. 

Given the volume and focus on the Standards in these messages, I was wondering what was up? But then a fellow advocate, who runs another childhood cancer non-profit, wrote to me. She filled me in and mentioned that a bunch of childhood cancer advocates are at a conference. At the conference one of the developers of our Psychosocial Standards of Care was presenting. This researcher highlighted the Standards and Mattie Miracle. 

We did not know about this conference presentation today. But this is the beauty of having 80+ researchers all around the Country, Canada and the Netherlands who have been working on this project with us. This is a committed group of individuals, all who do work on the Standards for basically NO compensation! Can you imagine??? It is hard to get anyone today to do something for free, but this amazing group of professionals are equally committed to Mattie Miracle's vision. A vision that one day every child and family will have access to optimal psychosocial area along the entire cancer journey. 

John Muir's quote resonated with me tonight. Because one tug in nature DOES have a cascading effect. The Psychosocial Standards of Care are case in point. In 2010 (shortly after Mattie died), I began reading a lot of psychosocial journal articles. Specifically those addressing trauma. So on a lark, I decided to email the main author who I saw listed on many of the articles. The author was Anne Kazak. As I learned later, Anne is considered the guru on trauma and the impact of childhood cancer. I am not sure what I was hoping to accomplish from my email to Anne, other than I wanted her to know her articles were making a difference in my life. They were helping me put words to my own experiences. I

Turns out Anne actually wrote me back. Anne and I joke all the time, that the Psychosocial Standards of Care project started OVER ONE SINGLE email. Would the Standards have been created if I never wrote the email in the first place? Or if Anne never responded to the email? I have no idea. My hunch is maybe, but the Standards are truly our vision. A vision that the psychosocial community has embraced. I am so glad I gave that ONE important TUG, and from this tug I have been connected to INCREDIBLE psychosocial professionals all over the USA and Canada. 

No comments: