Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 15, 2020

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old. As you can see, he was intrigued by Patches, our cat. He wanted to pet Patches and play with her on his terms. Mattie learned over time that his approach did not work with Patches. Like any cat, you have to approach them on their own terms. Back then, we tried to give Patches a place to escape, so she did not get touched by Mattie. We landed up placing her pouch high up on the plant stand. It worked out well, because Mattie wouldn't reach her, and yet Patches could still be in and amongst our activity. Which she liked. Also notice all the pumpkins. Mattie loved to bring pumpkins home from Fall Festivals, and no picture would be complete without Mattie's sippy cup of milk. Given how much milk Mattie consumed, I always thought he'd have the strongest bones around. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 7,966,634
  • number of people who died from the virus: 217,601


The last time I went to our Department of Motor Vehicles, Mattie was alive. In fact, I remember walking with Mattie to Georgetown, and waiting for hours to get my driver's license renewed. Back then the lines and waiting times were ridiculous. However, due to COVID, you can only renew your license by appointment! My license expired this year on my birthday, in July. I tried to renew my license in June, but was turned away from the DMV and was quoted the new policy to make an appointment. So naturally back in June, I went on the DMV website to make an appointment. The first appointment I could obtain was TODAY, four months later. I even checked available appointment times in every DMV in Washington, DC. Needless to say, I made the appointment for today! The photo you see here, was how the DMV used to look. Today it was a ghost town, with only six of us renewing are license at one time. 

This was my license from years ago! I preferred this license as it was in color and it looked less like an institutional photo! I showed up at the DMV on time and had all the necessary paperwork in hand to get my renewal and Real ID. The person working with me was quiet but lovely. In any case, as she was processing my paperwork, she saw a discrepancy in my name. So she asked for my marriage license! I literally said... you have to be kidding. Since I have been married for 25 years and this isn't a new change, I did not understand why my marriage license was needed. Nor had I brought it with me! So my representative went back to talk to her manager. What was the confusion? NOT my married name, but my first name. 

When I got my license in DC years ago, they couldn't fit Victoria A Sardi-Brown on one line. So instead, they cut off the A in Victoria. So my license listed my name as 
Victori  A Sardi-Brown. For years I have been Victori! I had gotten used to it, but today, the manager corrected my name in the system to reflect my LEGAL name. Hurray!!!
 
This was today's photo! Mind you it is on a folded piece of paper. As it is a print out of my temporary license until the real one comes in the mail 7-10 days from now. The photo was taken in a very darkly lit part of the DMV. Not my favorite photo, but I got the process over with. 

While I was there, I met two other people applying for licenses. One woman told us she was 48 years old and was not married. She proceeded to say that she always wanted to get married but hadn't found the right person. She said she wanted to marry for love, not just for the sake of getting married. I honestly felt for her but it wasn't the right place to tell her that it is never too late. To keep the faith that there is someone out there for her.......but she hasn't met that person yet. The other person getting his license was there to retake the written test as he was arrested for a DUI. As I am intrigued by people and their stories, waiting to get my license today was both interesting and productive. 

No comments: