Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 8, 2021

Thursday, July 8, 2021

Thursday, July 8, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. That day I took Mattie to the outpatient physical therapy department to have a session with Anna. Most of Mattie's sessions were in-patient, but by July, Mattie was off of chemotherapy, and our focus and goal was to get him stronger and learn to walk again. We tried all sorts of walkers, but I would say that Mattie had great fear about falling and therefore was very cautious about taking steps. Of course, now in hindsight we also know that Mattie's cancer was spreading and therefore his level of pain had to be intense. All I can say was Mattie was a good sport. Despite how badly he was feeling, he always tried and was truly committed to fighting the disease and rehabilitating. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 33,787,371
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 606,443


Today was the first day in two weeks where we did not go to the house. Peter had important conference calls to make for work and I needed to focus on my portion of the grant proposal that we are submitting with a team at the end of the month. Because the house has no connectivity yet and the fact that on any given day I am juggling 12 things at once, it makes it impossible to do any meaningful writing at the house. So I was glad to have this time at our DC home today. 

Though I wasn't at the house, I was still dealing with house things. I am happy to report that painters are starting on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Tile floors will get professionally cleaned and sealed on Thursday and Friday of next week, and I signed a contract for first floor wood floors to get refinished at the end of July (mainly because right now I call the first floor a clown car, as in each room the wooden floors look different in color)! It was a red letter day!!! I feel much better with a plan, as it was finding the right people and figuring out what we can budget now was stressful. Needless to say, I am looking for the perfect ivory paint color for walls in the house. Though our walls in DC, have wonderful Mattie Miracle colors, I think long term having a basic color will be important, and LORD knows I don't want to paint the whole house ever again. At some point this weekend, I am going to the actual paint store to get more samples to test out on the walls. So I think it will be another busy weekend as we get the house ready for contractors next week. 

No comments: