Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 10, 2023

Friday, February 10, 2023

Friday, February 10, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2003. Mattie was ten months old and I know I must have snapped this photo at the time to capture the multitasker in Mattie. He was sitting in his tot wheels, zooming around our first floor, checking out the furniture and everything in the drawers. Mattie had a natural curiosity and joy of life, and his energy was contagious. As I know he pushed me out of my comfort zone with many of our activities and adventures. 


Quote of the day: We are not meant to live in isolation. Not in nuclear families or bubbled existence. The richness of life is found in community, in cooperation, in becoming a part of a greater whole. Expand your bubble, drop your shield. Invite love in. Do not attempt to do it alone. ~ Jeanette LeBlanc


I did my usual routine this morning and then took my mom to her physical therapy appointment. I schedule her therapy sessions on days my dad goes to his memory care center. It would be very difficult balancing both of them, while observing my mom's session. My mom had quite a workout today, as the therapist is really challenging her with balance and walking stability. 

After the session, I gave my mom the option of getting tea of going home. She chose to go home, as I could tell she is exhausted from the session. This gives her about an hour to rest until we pick up my dad. 

Since the weather is beautiful out, I had my mom walk up and down the driveway. Our driveway is on a bit of a slope and the therapist asked me to video my mom's movement up and down a slight incline. Given that it is in the 60s today, I decided to have my mom get this task done, as I know the weather this weekend will be colder and she will not want to walk outside. 



What I juggle in any given day is remarkable. It is hard to put it into words, other than I feel like I move from one task or crisis to another. 

When I got home, Peter surprised me with cards, flowers, and a goodie basket for Valentine's Day. It was a lovely and thoughtful gift to receive, especially with how we are living our lives right now. I don't feel great about myself on any day, but it is nice to know that Peter wants to celebrate me and us. It makes me pause, reflect, and of course be grateful. I learned with Mattie's diagnosis, things can always be worse, and physical health deserves to be celebrated. As does having the love of a caring, patient, and supportive husband. 

No comments: