Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 5, 2023

Sunday, February 5, 2023

Sunday, February 5, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2006. Mattie was almost four years old and Peter and Mattie were playing in our living room. Between the living and dining rooms, they put up a big barrier using paper towels. Mattie used this visual to help create a finishing line for his car races and other play schemes. All I know was when Mattie was around, our home will filled with noise, activity, and of course toys and books everywhere. It was an adjustment for me to manage all this clutter and commotion, but it was an even BIGGER adjustment when it wasn't around after Mattie died. 


Quote of the day: If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere. ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder


The highlight of my day today was that it was 40 degrees and I made the time to walk with Peter and Sunny. It is wonderful that a trail into the woods is so close to our home that we can walk to it. Sunny absolutely loves it!
Can you see the deer? There were three, but I was able to capture one on camera!


The usual routine after breakfast is both of my parents nap. When they first moved in, I just couldn't understand this at all. Now I have come to accept it, as there is not much about this pattern I can change. In fact, I encouraged my mom to go to the basement with me and get on the treadmill for 10 minutes (which is part of her PT exercise routine). I could tell she did not want to do it, and was too tired. So I did not push her, but I am finding this is more of a trend, because given all that I balance with my dad, it is hard to fit my mom's routine and needs into the day. 

With all this said, besides my daily chores and existence, I am living the life of an 87 year old with dementia. I see my parents sleeping more than awake, they don't want to engage with the world, and prefer isolation. Which by transitive property, this has also become the way I live my life. Mind you, for me this is a double whammy, because Mattie's death impacted my life. Socially many friends dropped me like a fly after he died, because I symbolized their worst nightmare. Nonetheless, I have tried to rebuild my life in some way since 2009. Now on top of this, I am once again caregiving. Caregiving, and managing a very unnatural situation. Some days I can put it into context, and manage with no problem. Other days, I can feel anxiety taking over, and I feel so overwhelmed and worried that I can't live like this for one more minute. 

Which is why walking, getting outside, and spending time with nature are all so healing. What was true in 2009, and it remains true today!

No comments: