Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 28, 2023

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Tuesday, February 28, 2023 -- Mattie died 700 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. We worked very hard to keep Mattie entertained, engaged, and active while hospitalized. What you see here was a make shift chemistry lab. We used Mattie's table to put set up some experiments. Mattie loved this kind of hands on learning and it was in these moments that Mattie the child shone through! We could take a pause from cancer and its treatment, and just try to be ourselves. Such activities like these helped us connect as a family, and I will always be grateful to our care community who dropped off countless surprises and gifts just like this!


Quote of the day: You’ve done enough. It’s okay to be tired. You can take a break. ~ Shauna Niequist


I relate to tonight's quote! I am indeed tired. It is challenging enough to run this household on a good day, but today, both of my parents are sick. We await a COVID test on my dad. His doctor seems to think it isn't COVID, but we all want to be certain. My dad gets tested often, given he goes to a memory care center. Nonetheless my dad's symptoms came on fast and now my mom is down for the count. So I have two sick patients on my hands. They are both exhausted, congested, and my mom has a terrible sore throat. They have remained in the family room all day resting and I am managing their requests, needs, food, and so forth around the clock. 

In the midst of all of this, I participated on a research conference call today, dropped off a 'welcome to the neighborhood' gift to my next door neighbor, and continued working on the Foundation's Walk website. But I have to admit, I feel worn out and I am worried that I could catch whatever my parents have, given my state of exhaustion. I feel intense pressure because I can't be sick or  even take a day off. If I do, everything around me will come to a grinding halt. My hope is tomorrow is a better day!

No comments: