Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 4, 2023

Saturday, March 4, 2023

Saturday, March 4, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. I remember this day vividly! The child life playroom was having a ribbon cutting ceremony and party. Mind you the playroom had been open prior to this for months, but nonetheless, we were thrilled to celebrate its existence. Why? When Mattie started treatment in August of 2008, there was NO playroom in the pediatric units. When I tell you it was a nightmare without this space, I am not kidding. There was no where to go, other than the hospital room itself or the hallways. The playroom opened up a whole new world for Mattie and it made an unbearable experience a little better. Mattie was selected that day to help cut the ribbon at the ceremony and Geoffrey, the giraffe, gave Mattie a high five!


Quote of the day: I'm very brave generally,' he went on in a low voice: 'only today I happen to have a headache.' (Tweedledum)Lewis Carroll


Peter is in our front yard today, working in the garden! Sunny went out to help, but as you can see, he was sleeping on the job! I feel badly for Sunny because he was so used to my attention and daily walks when we lived in the city. Now I hardly have time for anything other than caregiving. Thankfully Sunny enjoys our yard and his outdoor time with Peter. 
While inside today, helping my parents, Peter sent this this photo from our garden. To me this means, spring has finally sprung!

I have been taking Sudafed all week because of my head cold and congestion. It is the only thing that helps me manage my symptoms, however, I have found that it also keeps me up at night. So last night, I did not take Sudafed and did finally sleep better. But of course that meant that I woke up very congested and my head has so much fluid in it today, it felt like it could explode. At one point today the pain was so bad, I wanted to scream or cry. But honestly who's going to listen? So I sucked it up and moved onto the next task. 

The only advantage of my parents being sick, is I have more time at home to get work done. So far this week, I finalized the Foundation's Walk website, tested it, and launched it. I worked on our Foundation's March newsletter and updated the Foundation's website. However, given how I am feeling, I am now going to take a forced break (even for an hour) before I have to make dinner and manage the next task.

No comments: