Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 28, 2023

Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2007. We were in Pennsylvania that weekend and while driving around, we noticed this round rainbow thing in the middle of a field. Literally there wasn't a soul around! We weren't looking for this, we just saw it and we were intrigued. So we parked the car and went out to inspect it! It turned out to be an in-ground trampoline. Peter and Mattie had a great time running around and jumping! It was such a wonderful stop and completely unplanned! Somehow the spontaneous nature of this makes it very memorable to me. 



Quote of the day: Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all. ~ Emily Dickinson


When my paternal uncle died, I got his poster of the Creature of the Black Lagoon. My uncle wanted me to have it, as he was involved in the 1982 TV production. In addition, if you look closely you will see an X on one of the round buildings (Marina City). This is where my uncle used to live. 






This morning, Peter sent me several photos from his trip to Chicago. His hotel room looks right onto Marina City. I have never visited Chicago, I have only been through O'Hare Airport. But the photos Peter sent me made me pause, as the city photographs beautifully. Though I haven't seen Marina City in person, it was wonderful to receive these photos. It would have made my uncle smile. 





As Peter was up early and exercising, he captured the sunrising over the marina. A sight Mattie would have appreciated. 


It is funny, two friends and contributors to Mattie Miracle wrote to me this week and asked how I liked our trip to Portland, Oregon. I literally had to pause because I had no idea what they were talking about. Then I realized, Peter must have posted photos from his business trip on Facebook. People naturally assumed that we were traveling together, as this is something we used to do in the past. 

I would have to say that caregiving for a loved one or in my case, two, is very socially isolating. Since I have experienced intense caregiving for a child and now for my parents, I am having all sorts of revelations. 

Today was an absolute whirlwind, because I had to take my dad to his memory care center and herd my mom out of the house in order to get to her salon appointment in the city on time. Though I got up at 6am, I still got to the salon late. Every aspect of my life is stressed. This is what I literally did from 6am until I left the house at 9:40am:

  • got up, 
  • fed Indie, 
  • gave Sunny his chemo, pills, and food, 
  • got myself showered and dressed, 
  • then went downstairs to make an afternoon snack for my mom, as well as made breakfast, 
  • then cleaned out Indie's litter box 
  • vacuumed on the first floor, cleaned kitchen counters, and mopped the tiles on the first floor
  • went back upstairs and woke up my dad
  • made my parent's bed
  • got my dad in the shower, then got him dressed (which is a production, as he provides no help in the process), and downstairs for breakfast
  • threw out trash and started laundry
  • while trying to eat my own breakfast, my dad had to go to the bathroom. Another production,
  • cleaned up breakfast dishes
  • got my parents into the car


In the midst of driving around, my mom constantly mentions that she misses driving and wants to drive. Yesterday she suggested that she drive my dad to appointments. If you watched my mom walk or reason through certain things, you would understand immediately why I took her driving privileges away. I feel strongly about this as I have a responsibility to keep her safe as well as the public. Though I wish she could drive, entertain herself, and be independent. Those days are long gone. I notice my mom NO LONGER reads books either. She won't admit it, but I know her memory issues make it difficult to  track a chapter book!  If my mom isn't pining about driving, then she is upset she can't bicycle ride. She wants a bicycle. Again, when she surfaced this today, I told her she needs to master the art of walking first. I have discussed this with her physical therapist, and she agrees, NO bicycle riding! 

So in addition to intense tasks, there is also a deep and wearing emotional toll to caregiving for two people with dementia. I serve so many roles for them and one of them requires me saying NO, to stop and question their decisions, and of course with my mom this triggers an immediate argument. Though Mattie had cancer and we were living through that hellish journey, in many ways, there were aspects of Mattie's care that were easier to cope with than what I am facing now. I think that speaks volumes about my current situation. 

No comments: