Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 28, 2023

Friday, July 28, 2023

Friday, July 28, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. That day Mattie received this gift. It was a wooden figure of Sponge Bob. Prior to Mattie's diagnosis, we did not watch Sponge Bob on TV. However, while he was in clinic, he saw other kids watching it, and because I disliked it, that caused Mattie to like it even more. In any case, that day, Mattie was giving me his Sponge Bob impression, and naturally I caught it on camera!


Quote of the day: He who conquers others is strong; He who conquers himself is mighty. ~ Lao Tzu


After my usual slew of chores and tasks this morning, I got my mom into the car and we headed into the city. I decided to get a conditioning treatment for my hair as well as a haircut. I was scheduled to have this done at 11am and my mom was going to get a massage at 12:30pm. I tried to schedule these appointments at the same time, but that wasn't possible. I explained how the appointments were going to work numerous times to my mom. I brought dry cereal, popcorn, and things to keep her busy while I was getting my hair done. 

Within ten minutes of my hair appointment, my mom started acting up. Unfortunately the salon put my mom right next to me. They probably thought this would allow us to talk together. BAD IDEA! For almost two years now I haven't taken care of my own needs and my hair is definitely suffering. Therefore, I was hoping that being at the salon today would be pleasant, a good diversion, and I could focus on myself. Forget it. My mom started making noises, holding her head in her hands, and telling everyone she was bored. How I did not crown her over the head or start screaming, I have no idea. 

At 12:30pm, when her appointment started, I spoke to the salon owner and my hairdresser. I explained that I can NO LONGER have any appointments where my mom is unoccupied. So if that means we schedule her for another service, that is what we are doing! They got it immediately. I swear it is like dealing with an obstreperous child. 

Tonight's quote is spot on! There is a lot around me right now that I don't like and I can't control. I literally could scream my head off, but who's going to listen and what would that accomplish? My hairdresser today sat down with me and she basically said.... what you are doing most adult children couldn't and wouldn't do. She admires what I am doing and she got to observe one of my mom's melt downs for herself! It is understandable why I say that caregiving is not for the meek. 

No comments: