Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 27, 2023

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. Mattie was in the clinic that day, sitting at the art table with his buddy Brandon. It was Brandon's birthday and despite being in a hospital, it was a very festive occasion. In fact, it was on that day that Mattie created Dr. Crazy Hair. This doctor even had a sea shell in his pocket, that Mattie said resembled a toenail! For the longest time this statue of Dr. Crazy Hair was in our living room on display. 


Quote of the day: I learned there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead, others come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready, you see. Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me.Dr. Seuss


I took my dad to see the podiatrist today. We see him every 90 days. Given my dad's history with diabetes, it is important to manage his foot care. My dad has very sensitive feet and I wouldn't attempt to cut his toe nails. Which is why I am thankful that Medicare covers these visits. In fact, I cut my dad's finger nails every two weeks, and all I can say is WOW! You would think I was killing him when I do this, but despite his fuss, it just has to be done. I plow through all his moaning sounds. 

This spring my dad's podiatrist retired, so we transferred over to his colleague today. I find it fascinating when a doctor interacts with an older adult. Frankly before moving onto an examination, I think it would behoove the doctor to find out a little more about the patient in front of them. Or how about introduce themselves to me! He never even asked who I was until the end of the visit. Of course, I was speaking up throughout the appointment, otherwise it would have been a one way dialogue. I am quite certain that even after this appointment was over, the doctor didn't quite register the fact that my dad can't live independently and that he has dementia. So truly talking to my dad about his foot care is hysterical. I know that a few minutes after leaving the office, my dad won't remember the doctor or the appointment. Case in point, my dad doesn't remember the podiatrist who just retired and he has been seeing that doctor for over a year, every 90 days!

After the doctor appointment, I ran some chores with my parents in tow, and then took them out to lunch. Every Thursday, we go to Mattie's favorite restaurant. I know many of the servers and management at this location. In any case, when we arrived today one of the managers told me that I must be an angel because he has never seen a child care for both parents like I do! He was smart enough to deduce that I have NO OTHER life than what I do for them daily. I of course tell him I am only human and have my good days and bad, but I am always amazed what people notice and observe. 

No comments: