Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 1, 2023

Friday, September 1, 2023

Friday, September 1, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken on September 1, 2009. I will never forget this day. Peter and I were struggling about Mattie's end of life care. We weren't sure whether Mattie should die at home or in the hospital. What happened? Mattie decided for us. He was in so much pain that he asked to return to the hospital. By that point, it was like our second home and he intuitively understood that he needed much more care than we could provide him at home. This photo was taken in the outpatient clinic, where Mattie was then admitted to the hospital. His art therapists gave him this remote controlled dinosaur and they were desperately trying to engage him and keep his mind off the horrific pain he was in. You can see that Mattie looked very sick and out of it. He was attached to a pain pump, but we got to the point that no amount of narcotics could relieve his suffering. This memory will remain with me always. 


Quote of the day: There is a fine line between challenging yourself and overwhelming yourself. ~ Brittany Burgunder


A childhood cancer diagnosis impacts the whole child and the whole family. September is childhood cancer awareness month and Mattie Miracle is proud to collaborate with the American Psychological Association's Caregiver Wellbeing Special Interest Group to shine a light on the importance of psychosocial care for children with cancer and their families. After years of research and collaboration between pediatric psychologists, oncologists, and more, 15 Standards were published that outline the kinds of psychosocial care that every child and family should receive after a childhood cancer diagnosis.

I am proud to say that there are now Psychosocial Standards of Care because of Mattie Miracle and ultimately because of Mattie Brown and his experience!


It was another winner of a day. I literally never stopped moving. After I got my dad washed and dressed, I brought him downstairs for breakfast. No breakfast is ever consumed in peace, because within minutes of eating (and he eats incredibly fast), he needs to jump up to the bathroom. After the bathroom, I got him in the car and took him to his memory care center. Keep in mind that I never returned to my breakfast (which remained sitting on the table) until about noon. At which point, I had to eat it quickly, because I needed to drive my mom to physical therapy. 

Back to dropping my dad off at his memory care center in the morning.... once that was complete, I went to mail my mom's things, filled the car up with gas, and then went to the grocery store to buy fresh fish. I am trying to do Fish Fridays at home. But fish is that kind of protein which I won't let sit around in the refrigerator. So that means schlepping to the store. Once I brought it home, I prepped the fish and other things for dinner, so that I wasn't scrambling later in the afternoon. 

Once that was done, I folded the laundry and helped my mom with paperwork. Then I got her into the car and off we went to therapy. Once her session was over, my mom wanted to go out for frozen yogurt. I thought I would have time to manage this before picking up my dad. But we got stuck on the highway for an hour because of a car crash miles ahead of us. By the time we got off the highway, I decided to run home first to pick up the tote bag I use when I have my dad in tow (it has a change of clothes, depends, wipes, etc). I was going to chance it and take my dad for frozen yogurt without the bag, but then reality set in. So I went home first. When I saw Peter at home, I asked him to pick my dad up and take him home, because I just did not have the where with all to do it all today. Therefore, I was able to take my mom out for yogurt without my dad with us. 

My mom has now convinced herself that she wants to go away on vacation. Though I would love to do this, I continue to provide the reality check on our situation. My dad doesn't have the stamina to travel anymore. He also has no interest to do this either. If dealing with his dementia isn't hard enough, then his dementia combined with irritable bowel syndrome, is truly over the top. I literally can't figure out how I could take them anywhere, without assistance, and someone to stay with my dad while I toured my mom around to see friends. So without a plan, I am not moving forward with this request. 

My world maybe moving in twenty directions, but I will never forget September 8, 2009. The day our lives permanently changed forever. I can't believe that Mattie will be gone 14 years. Around the anniversary of Mattie's death, we always visit his memorial trees and decorate them. 

Since September is childhood cancer awareness month, and the awareness color is GOLD, I am happy I was able to find a few gold ornaments. But the theme here is really the SUN and Sunflowers. Mattie LOVED drawing and painting the sun and I love sunflowers. They remind me of Team Mattie, who gave me plenty of sunflowers between hospital admissions. Therefore, these ornaments resonated with me for the tree. 

Of course those of you who have been on this journey with me from the beginning, know that Mattie LOVED donuts! In fact, while on chemo, he went through a vanilla frosted donut phase! He practically ate them daily. Since Mattie refused food most days, we gave him whatever he wanted to eat in order to get calories into him! Therefore donuts on the memorial tree are very symbolic of Mattie, his journey, and his spirit to live life to the fullest. 




No comments: