Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 28, 2023

Monday, August 28, 2023

Monday, August 28, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. Mattie was in his first month of treatment and that day we were home from the hospital. As Mattie's treatment wore on, our days at home dwindled, since Mattie usually was quite sick from the chemotherapy. In any case, that day, one of Mattie's friends dropped off a gift. A big bubble maker! Since we were having a tough day inside of our home, we went outside for fresh air and a change of scenery. Mattie was eager to see how the bubble maker worked and Peter took on the challenge of figuring out how to get this gizmo to work. 


Quote of the day: Life doesn’t get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more resilient. ~ Steve Maraboli

Sunny is taking a week long break from being on chemotherapy. His gums are swollen, he has no appetite, his legs are wobbly, and he is losing weight. The vet hopes that a pause in treatment will enable him to recover. We are putting a medication in his water to reduce the swelling in his gums, he is on an oral anti-inflammatory for his hind legs, and we are trying to feed him soft foods. Has his appetite come back? I would say no, but this evening he has surprised me. Sunny walked through my office and into a sitting room where we feed the cat. Sunny tracked down the cat's food. I frankly don't care if Sunny eats Indie's food. Dogs can eat cat food, but cats can not eat dog food. As cats need a special enzyme that is only found in cat food. Sunny ate two cans of Fancy Feast!!! So tomorrow, I am going to the store to buy canned dog food. Typically Sunny doesn't like dog food, but I am following his lead! I am also thinking that I will feed Sunny where I feed Indie, because I think he feels like the cat is getting a special treat in there, and he wants to know why isn't he as well. Sunny is that psychologically deep. 

This morning after doing a ton of chores, I took my mom out to lunch. We try to visit Tiffany at the Neiman Marcus CafĂ© once a week. She treats us so well and is fond of my mom. In fact, Tiffany was telling me that when she sees us, she thinks about her mom, who is Taiwan. Tiffany is a long way from home. She told me that she serves many people each week, but she is so impressed that I take my mom out and dine with her. She says so many adult children do not get along well with their mothers, much less would want to spend time eating with them. Interesting observation. 

Though I do not order them, Tiffany gives me free cookies each week. They don't always look the same. Today I got two giant chocolate chip cookies. It is gifts like this, which are unsolicited, that truly are touching to me. The people we interact with at our local restaurants observe my life and their acts of kindness are deeply appreciated and they make me feel less alone and appreciated. 

Meanwhile, I have emails piling up all around me. Text messages I can respond to, but emails are more challenging to me. I am not sure why. Part of it is I have little to no time, but the other part is how I am feeling mentally and emotionally. I just don't have the ability to focus and concentrate. I am hoping people will understand what I am up against, but what I know is this is not typically how I operate. In the past, I could return all messages that day or by the next day. Right now I am just working hard to manage one day at a time. 

No comments: