Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 30, 2023

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. It was Mattie's first month in treatment and early on we learned that Mattie couldn't endure any scans without sedation. In fact, I blame Mattie's oncologist who did not listen to me from the beginning. I explained to him that Mattie had sensory issues and therefore I did not feel he could handle a tight confined space, that produced loud noises. The doctor thought I was an alarmist and said with verbal coaching, Mattie would be fine. Not only wasn't Mattie fine, but there was no amount of coaching that could alleviate Mattie's fears. So without sedation, getting an MRI or CT scan was close to impossible. This was when the sedation team became a part of our lives. Debbi was the nurse who headed pediatric sedation and she became a crucial part of our world. Throughout our 14 month journey, Debbi rode right along side us with every scan or procedure. 


Quote of the day: If you have not been driven to the end of yourself at some point in your life, it is likely that you have not given the whole of yourself at any time in your life. ~ Craig D. Lounsbrough


It has been another long day here! My dad had an appointment with the dermatologist today. I can't tell you how many times he asked me about this appointment. Even after the appointment was over, he repeatedly asked me what the doctor said, then of course 30 minutes later forgot that he ever saw her to begin with. I wanted him to see the doctor because of his non-stop bug bites, itching, and then severe allergic reaction to the scratching. She is my doctor, but honestly I found her NO help today regarding my dad. She had no suggestions on how to manage my dad, or let's put it this way, no new ideas from what I am already doing. 

All I know is I have had over a month of dealing with itching, scratching, hives, allergic reactions, and being on antibiotics, followed by steroids (because of a severe allergic reaction to the antibiotics). If managing my dad's skin condition was all I do each day, then that would be fine, but I have so much else on my plate. 

Later in the day, because Peter is away in Chicago on business, I took my parents out for an early dinner. I can't tell you how many times I was up and down to the bathroom with my dad while at the restaurant. Then the last trip to the bathroom, he needed to be completely changed because he had an irritable bowel attack. I am quite certain the average person wouldn't be taking my dad out, as you never know what you are going to get with him. My parents are lucky that I have a strong stomach and constitution for dealing with bathroom issues, and am able to continue eating! My dad used to love food and the dining experience, like me, but now, he just goes through the motions. It is a sad commentary. My dad also eats super fast and then while waiting for the rest of us to catch up, he closes his eyes and sleeps at the table. If I took my life into full account, it would be very depressing, exhausting, overwhelming, and hopeless. Which is why I try not to look at the full picture. I take each moment as it comes. Meanwhile, I am headed for a walk now, as I need this time to regroup. 

No comments: