Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 15, 2023

Friday, September 15, 2023

Friday, September 15, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. I will never forget this moment in time. We took Mattie to New York City to be evaluated by a well known oncologist and orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon kept us waiting for HOURS! Try over 4! It was very difficult keeping Mattie happy and contained during that time and the hospital system truly did not care! The surgeon was a piece of work too, as he told us he could only chat with us for five minutes because he had to run to a dinner. As if I cared about his dinner, especially after waiting for hours and making the journey from Washington, DC. The surgeon started talking about Mattie's condition, how his diagnosis was terminal and surgery should not be performed. I was so incensed by him, that I told him to STOP talking while I brought Mattie to the waiting area, as I did not feel this was appropriate dialogue for a six year old. My parents and lifetime friend, Karen, were in the waiting room fortunately because otherwise, I would have had to remove myself and Mattie from the conversation. To this day, I have NO USE for this big named cancer center or these physicians. They may have been right, Mattie was going to die, but their delivery and lack of compassion will never be forgotten. 


Quote of the day: A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again. ~ Maya Angelou


This morning was another show, in which I as unable to eat again. My dad had to jump up to the bathroom and after he was finished I had to take him to his memory care center. After dropping him off, I went to get gas for the car and drop off mail at the post office. Then I ran back home to herd my mom to the car. I told her we had to leave the house at 10:20am, in order for me to get her the salon in time, which is located in Washington, DC. The salon is about a 35 minute drive for me each way. When I walked into the house, she was playing around with her phone and did not look ready to leave. I told her the time and she got flustered. I asked her what she was doing and I could see she was trying to change her "google" password. Of which she doesn't have one to begin with! I grabbed the phone away from her because this is how she has gotten into trouble in the past! I have told her time and time again not to play with passwords or give out any information on-line. But it just doesn't compute with her. My mom got mad at me and I told her, if anyone should be mad it is me. I had to make breakfast, clean the first floor, make their bed, get my dad washed and dressed, downstairs for breakfast, start their laundry, toilet my dad and get him to his memory care center. Forgoing breakfast! That reality stopped her in her tracks. 

When I finally got to the salon, my mom headed back for a massage. My mom is convinced that she is asked to lie on her stomach, with her face down, when she gets a massage. She doesn't want to do this and told me to let the salon staff know. It turns out that the person giving her a massage NEVER puts her on her stomach and therefore my mom is complaining about something that doesn't actually happen. The salon owner and the staff understand what I am up against, and instead of challenging my mom, we just go with it and tell her that we received her feedback and that the service will accommodate her concerns. 

In any case, while my mom had her massage, I got my hair conditioned and cut. For almost two years now, I have not cared for my hair. Now that my hair stylist is back in Washington, DC I am trying to see her on a more regular basis. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be parent-free for two hours! The salon gives me cappuccino and today they shared fresh figs from a staff member's tree! It felt like a little bit of Italy. I am very grateful that the salon owner understands the stresses of caregiving as she did this with both of her parents. It takes a caregiver to know another caregiver. Being cared for and given treats is deeply appreciated and I am so glad I changed back to this salon!

On another note, I heard something absolutely humorous on the radio today! The question is........... how often do you think of the Roman Empire? Well apparently men think of this quite often and this question has gone viral, shocking women!!! Check out this link, and maybe ask the men in your life this question! You too maybe surprised by the answer!!! 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/men-honest-ndash-often-think-191226516.html?

No comments: