Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 14, 2023

Thursday, September 14, 2023

Thursday, September 14, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. Mattie was in his second month of treatment. That day, his "girlfriend" Charlotte came to the hospital to visit. Keep in mind that both of these children were only 6 years old. Entering a pediatric intensive care unit is scary! Yet Charlotte did it often and endured many of Mattie's highs and lows. That day these friends sat in Mattie's bed and watched Scooby Doo together. Meanwhile, Tricia, Mattie's favorite HEM/ONC nurse was accessing Mattie's IV and was doing it in a way as to not interfere with their time together. Tricia's birthday is on Saturday, and in honor of an incredible nurse, I posted tonight's photo. 


Quote of the day: I miss the warmth of your gentle hug and the love I felt when my arms were wrapped around you. I miss seeing your beautiful smile and the sound of your voice saying my name. I miss hearing you say, ‘I love you’ and me saying, ‘I love you’ in return. ~ Millie P. Lorenz


I am at it with my dad again! He is itching all over again. He has no insect bites, but I now know what this means. The itchiness is internal, which in my mind means it is medication based. The doctor thought it was the antibiotics that he was on. My dad was taking antibiotics for two weeks because he had open wounds from scratching so much. So to counteract that reaction my dad took prednisone for five days. Now everything is out of his system except the diabetes medication, which is a relatively new addition. I felt right from the beginning that my dad was having a reaction to the diabetes medication and not the antibiotic, but frankly since both were added around the same time, I decided to follow the doctor's recommendation. However, I text messaged the doctor and asked him if we could try stopping the diabetes medication for a few days to see if there is a difference. In any case, today was the first day without being on the med, and guess what? I haven't seen my dad scratching! I am hoping this is a trend, because this is a vicious cycle. 

I would say overall that my dad is declining. His physical therapist sees what I am observing too. In fact, today she recommended that he go back to in-home PT, which is reimbursed through Medicare. She feels he would requalify for these services and that his rehab doctor would most likely agree. The reason she is recommending this, is my dad would get an addition day of physical therapy a week. Two private sessions a week, plus one reimbursed through Medicare. I am thinking about it, because I am well aware of my dad's level of exhaustion and am not sure that three sessions a week will be what he needs. 


Two highlights of my day today. This evening, after meeting all of my parents needs, I went for a six mile walk. When I start walking, part of me wants to turn right around and go back home. As I am chronically tired. But I push through that feelings and eventually feel better about having fresh air and seeing signs of nature. 

The other highlight of my day was receiving a beautiful and heartfelt card from my friend, Denise. Denise wanted to remind me that I am not alone, that my friends are still out there and care. Which was good to hear because given all I am dealing with, it is easy to feel alone and unsupported. As soon as I saw the sunflowers on this card, I knew immediately that words of support and compassion were going to be inside. Sunflowers are the ultimate symbol of Team Mattie, and ironically many members of this team, are still supporting me through this next phase of my life.  

No comments: