Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 30, 2023

Monday, October 30, 2023

Monday, October 30, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken on Halloween of 2008. Next to Mattie was Brandon. Mattie and Brandon were diagnosed around the same time, with different forms of cancer. Despite the 10-12 year difference, these two were great buddies. Mattie and Brandon trick or treated at the hospital together, did crafts and games, and hung out that day. The hospital did a wonderful job, as we literally went to different administrative floors in the hospital and collected candy from door to door. 

This special connection between Mattie and Brandon was truly special to witness. Even when Brandon went into remission and was off treatment, he made the trip to the hospital  on a regular basis to visit Mattie. Keep in mind that Brandon lived over an hour away from the hospital. On the day that Mattie died, Brandon also came and sat in Mattie's room with us for hours. He took part in the impromptu celebration of life event around Mattie's bedside, and to me was a devoted friend. 


Quote of the day: When our days become dreary with low-hovering clouds of despair, and when our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. ~ Martin Luther King Jr.


My morning started at 5:15am. I assure you this is NOT my hour. It was very dark at that hour and when my feet hit the floor, I literally said to myself..... this is going to be a long day, can I actually do this? I am not sure I waited for an answer, as I know that if I don't pull it together my house wouldn't function. 

Honestly my mornings are nutty. At 5:30am, I headed downstairs to feed Indie (the cat), then I gave Sunny his medications and let him outside. I have learned with Sunny that eating breakfast is now more like a lunch time activity. So I don't push food on him, unless he seems to want it. Once the animals were taken care of, I head back upstairs to shower and dress. Then back downstairs I went to make breakfast for everyone, then to clean out the cat litter box, vacuum around it and the first floor, and finally clean down the kitchen counters and the bathroom on the first floor (since my dad uses it daily). From there, I headed back upstairs. I woke my dad up, made my parent's bed, got my dad showered and dressed, and finally downstairs for breakfast. 

While trying to eat breakfast, the electrician showed up to do an annual check of our generator. I was jumping up and down through breakfast, which also included cutting power to the house. Once things were more stable, I got my dad in the car and dropped him off at his memory care center. Once home, my mom and I took Sunny for a short walk. Are you getting the picture? Truly by 11am, I have had a FULL day, and yet my days don't end until 10pm!

While walking home with my mom and Sunny, I happened to look at my license plate on the car. Typically I pay NO attention to these kind of things, but today, I guess the registration stickers caught my attention. Probably because they read OCT 2023! I realized they were expiring after tomorrow and panicked. I reached out to Peter, who wasn't home at the time, and he scrambled into action. 
Needless to say, I had to find my way to our local gas station today to get an emission inspection, in order to supply this information to the DMV. In all my married life, I have to admit, I have never had to worry about inspections. But now we are juggling so much, that I am learning new things on a daily basis. 

I left my mom at Starbuck's and decided to go to the station around noon. I had no idea if there would be a line or how long it would take. When I got there, there was only one other car in front of me. I literally waited only 45 minutes and got the service completed. While waiting for my car, I was able to sit outside. YES even a gas station bench is a welcomed break and change for me. It was a beautiful weather day and I absorbed the sights of greenery, blue skies, and changing leaves. For me, I celebrate the small victories each day. 

No comments: