Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 31, 2023

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Tuesday, October 31, 2023 -- Mattie died 735 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken on Halloween of 2008. Mattie enjoyed two Halloween events that day. One at the hospital and the other in the evening with his buddy Zachary. Mattie is pictured here with Sally the Story Lady. Mattie absolutely LOVED Sally. She visited the pediatric units monthly and no matter how Mattie felt, he always wanted to see Sally. In fact, Sally was one of a handful of volunteers who was allowed in his room. Mattie loved acting out Sally's stories and I can't tell you how grateful I was to have Sally in our lives, because some days, there was nothing I could do to bring a smile onto Mattie's face. 


Quote of the day: And perhaps there is a limit to the grieving that the human heart can do. As when one adds salt to a tumbler of water, there comes a point where simply no more will be absorbed. ~ Sarah Waters


This morning I was listening to the radio while getting showered and dressed. The commentators were highlighting spooky stories for Halloween. In fact they had a woman on who investigates paranormal phenomenon and she runs a company that will help rid your home of spirits. As she said some spirits are good, a family members, and she works on helping them pass onto the next world. Somehow I found her dialogue strangely fascinating! She highlighted several of her experiences and I concluded....... perhaps anything is possible!

I know when I was a child and traveling with my parents and grandmother in England, we stayed at a hotel in Bath. My mom and grandmother swore this hotel was haunted. I was under ten years of age, so my memory is spotty, but I do recall that several nights my mom slept into the room I was sharing with my grandmother. I truly don't remember how they sold me on this but now as an adult I know that the reason for my mom's presence was the fact that my grandmother was VERY scared! My grandmother was a sensitive soul, so if someone was going to see or hear a spirit, I am not surprised it was her. The thing is when my mom came in for a few nights, she too heard what my grandmother had been reporting to her. Years later, I learned that the sounds they heard were like a big party next door to us. Champagne being opened, glasses clinking, and people talking and having a good time. But here's the thing! There was nothing next to our room other than an elevator and its shaft. I am so glad they did not tell me what was going on back then, and that I slept through it all, because I would have been an anxious mess.

Trick or treating began at 5pm in my neighborhood. It seemed super early, but I guess with young kids, it makes sense. I have no idea what my other neighbors are doing, but I decided to place candy in a bin on our door step. I am in no mood for conversation and small talk!








It is 7pm, and I can say we had MANY more trick or treaters last year! I couldn't keep the bin full last year. This year, I can't give the candy away. Families are coming in groups, as you can see one bunch was walking away after visiting our cul de sac. 

I however, LOVE having extra candy, because whatever doesn't go tonight, I donate to Mattie Miracle's Candy and Snack drive! 





No comments: