Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 3, 2023

Friday, November 3, 2023

Friday, November 3, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. I know that this photo had to be taken on a Friday! How do I know this? I know because Mattie was in the hospital hallway watching the Chemistry Club do their hands on activities and experiments. Mattie LOVED this Club and he developed a friendship with Chris, the Club's president. No matter how Mattie was feeling, he always wanted to see Chris and the Club. That day, Chris brought red roses to the unit. He gave the kids a rose and then they got to dip it in dry ice. Once the rose was frozen, they then threw the roses on the floor, and literally they broke in a million pieces. Mattie loved his rose, and though he watched the process with the other children, he refused to dip his rose into dry ice. 


Quote of the day: We have trauma, and we have grief. People die, and we find it baffling. Painful. Inexplicable. Grief is baffling. There are theories on how we react to death, how we cope, how we handle loss. Some believe the range of emotions mourners experience is predictable, that grief can be monitored, as if mourners are following a checklist. But sorrow is less of a checklist, more like water. It's fluid, it has no set shape, never disappears, never ends. It doesn't go away. It just changes. It changes us. ~ Mira Ptacin


It was another full day today. However, by 4:30pm, I decided to take a break and walk with Sunny outside. Given Sunny's energy level now, our walks are much slower and we don't cover as much territory. However, I always try to give him a little bit of a walk through the woods. As he loves exploring and sniffing around. I find the woods calming and for the time I am in them, it reminds me of the beauty that still exists in the world. 

Now if you want a chuckle, YES I look for opportunities to laugh these days, then you have to check out this article. I heard about it on the news tonight, so I went to look it up! 

The article is titled, If You Want to Know If Someone's Gen Z or Millennial, Just Check Their Socks. Truly the debate over whether you wear ankle socks or like your socks pulled up further seems thoroughly ridiculous to me. If you are curious, I prefer ankle socks like millennials. But I am NOT a millennial, so I am not sure how you classify those of us pre-millennial?!!! Nonetheless, the article highlights the reasons why millennials love ankle shoes. While reading it, I was bobbing my head up and down in agreement! With the world around me in chaos, the distraction of walks and silly articles like this work for me! 

No comments: