Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 6, 2023

Monday, November 6, 2023

Monday, November 6, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. That evening Mattie was gifted a piano keyboard. He received it from our favorite musical volunteers, who visited us from the first week Mattie was admitted to the hospital. We absolutely loved this duo, who brought music, laughter, and happiness to our lives. In fact, Jerry would email me before coming to the hospital, so that he could be sure to play songs Mattie knew! There was always a contest involved, and Mattie loved the 'name that tune' competition. In any case, that evening, Jerry gifted Mattie his own keyboard! A very generous and kind gift! This was is the perfect example of the caliber of people we interacted with, and who will never be forgotten by me. They live on in my heart. After Mattie died, I gifted this keyboard to the pediatric intensive care unit, so that other children could enjoy the gift of music. 


Quote of the day: Sorrow makes us all children again - destroys all differences of intellect. The wisest know nothing. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


After my morning chores, I dropped my dad off at his memory care center. Then I ran to the post office and CVS. At the post office, I parked and stepped out of the car. There were leaves piled up, so I did not notice that the leaves were covering a storm drain. I literally went sliding, with my feet practically in the storm drain. Thankfully I have good balance, and I pulled myself out of the drain, but this was extremely dangerous! 

I ran home and jumped on a conference call. I had the opportunity to interact with a senior in college who is doing her capstone research project on childhood cancer. She learned about Mattie Miracle's Psychosocial Standards of Care from interviewing a researcher at Dana Farber. I have interacted with many high school and college students over the years that I have run Mattie Miracle. But today's interview seemed different right from the beginning. The young ladies questions were far more thoughtful, insightful, and meaningful! Guess why? THAT'S right, she is a cancer survivor herself! I always say that those of use touched by cancer speak a certain language, we just understand each other immediately. 

We covered a lot of ground today from my personal cancer experiences with Mattie to running the Foundation. One of the last questions this student asked me was if there was a memory I wanted to share with her that highlighted the support within our community. Naturally there were many stories I could highlight, but I shared with her the story of Mattie during Halloween. 

In Halloween of 2008, Mattie was recovering from his first limb salvaging surgery. His arm was bandaged and he was walking very gingerly because he was afraid of falling and getting injured. That evening we went to his preschool buddy's (Zachary) house to trick or treat. Zachary had many friends in the neighborhood who tagged along with us. Naturally the kids were excited to run around and collect as much candy as possible. However, Mattie was not running. It was too dark and he was frightened. So he was walking slowly and in essence slowing down the group. Zachary's neighbors encouraged him to ditch Mattie. Certainly he could of, but that was not what Zachary did. Instead, he told his neighbors to go along without him, that he was staying with his friend Mattie. That may not sound earth shattering, but this came out of the mouth of a 6 year old. Sure Zachary wanted more candy, but what this showed me was friendship, loyalty, and commitment mean much more than tangible items! I too share this philosophy, but it was inspiring to witness this, and to see Mattie feel important, included, and cared for by a dear friend. That story remains with me now and forever. 

Here is my funny story for the day! Interested in a necklace made out of giraffe poop? I kid you not! This box was seized at a Minnesota airport. Just in case you wanted to know, you can't bring in hoofed animal feces into the USA! Don't take my word for it, here's the article entitled, Planned to make a necklace': Airport agents seize giraffe poop from woman returning to US.


No comments: