Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 8, 2023

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. Faithful blog readers have heard me talk about Chris, the president of the chemistry club at the University. Well this is him! Therefore I know this photo was taken on a Friday. Mattie was in his room recovering from surgery on his right arm. Therefore Mattie wasn't leaving his room, and yet he did not want to miss a session with Chris. So Chris brought the club into Mattie's room! Together they made slime!! I will never forget Chris, whose goal was to go to medical school. He definitely had what it took to relate to kids and their parents under the worst of circumstances. I will never forget him or his bond with Mattie. 


Quote of the day: The fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength. ~ JK Rowling


Sunny had his 6 week follow up at the oncology office today. He basically gets scanned every 6-8 weeks to determine the next course of action. The oncologist is very worried about Sunny's quality of life and doesn't want us to prolong his life if he is in pain or suffering. Of course I couldn't agree more. Sunny is my dog baby and there is NO WAY I would allow this to happen. The good news is that Sunny's tumors are stable and in fact some of them continue to shrink. That said, I have not given Sunny chemotherapy since Friday. He is supposed to get it every other day. But I felt that Sunny wasn't eating and had bouts of diarrhea. Therefore he needed a break. I did not consult the doctor, I just did it! I made the right decision. Sunny is holding his weight at 60 pounds. However, Sunny needs to be lifted in and out of the car. I wasn't sure I was up to this today, but ironically I had NO problem lifting 60 pounds. Not sure what that says about me. I do not think it has to do with strength, for me it is more like I am going to rise to the occasion to meet whatever care need is necessary for someone I love. 

My dad was at his memory care center today and mid-day, I stopped what I was doing to take my mom out for tea. She enjoys getting out of the house each day, and given the stresses of our days, we like going to Starbucks. It gives us two hours of peace. We people watch and take in the hustle and bustle around us. Truthful while there we feel more 'normal.' Needless to say I have gotten to know most of the baristas there. In fact, they start working on our tea order as soon as we walk through the door. Today's barista was a lovely fellow and when I saw him he joked with me and said he had a tear in his eye when he saw me. Overall however, most of the baristas understand that I am caring for my mom and they go out of their way to assist me. Kindness and even small kind gestures make such a difference in my daily routine. 

Here is today's funny story. It is entitled, Deer charges through crowded Wisconsin restaurant. You really have to see the video in the article! But what I think is particularly funny is that the restaurant then had a special of "2 buck mac and cheese!"



No comments: