Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 25, 2023

Saturday, November 25, 2023

Saturday, November 25, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2007. That year we went to Boston for Thanksgiving to visit Peter's family. Mattie and Peter's dad worked on creating a model plane together. They built it and Mattie painted it! Mattie LOVED any hands on project, especially if it created a form of locomotion!


Quote of the day: Grief ... gives life a permanently provisional feeling. It doesn't seem worth starting anything. I can't settle down. I yawn, I fidget, I smoke too much. Up till this I always had too little time. Now there is nothing but time. Almost pure time, empty successiveness. ~ CS Lewis


I decided, contrary to how I was feeling, that I would find the time today to put away my Fall decorations, and put out some of my Christmas things. I truly dislike pulling stuff out of bins and boxes and I absolutely hate after the holidays packing things up for storage. But I feel it is important to do this as it helps to orient my parents to the season. Also as it gets colder and grayer, it is nice to see lights and happier things on display. I will try to capture some photos to put on the blog later this week. 

I did cook a small turkey last night, which we got at the farmer's market a few months ago. It stayed frozen in the freezer and it looked good, but wow was it tough! It had no fat on it, was very lean, and as a result it was close to impossible to eat. However, I kept its carcass and started boiling it down for turkey soup last night. This morning I added all sorts of vegetables and it made a wonderful dinner. So the bird did not go to waste! Whatever meat we did not want to eat, I put it in the blender and served it to Sunny. The one positive of him being on steroids is that he LOVES to eat now. Thankfully. 

Yesterday, I started a medication for sciatic nerve pain. I developed this pain over two weeks ago. I am familiar with it as I had my first battle with this type of pain when I was pregnant with Mattie. I certainly can work through the pain, as I excel in having a high threshold for pain, but it is noticeable and it wearing me down. My doctor started me on an anti-inflammatory medication and wants to see me in ten days if I don't improve. I am hoping I improve, as my plate is very full at the moment. 

Tomorrow is my mom's 88th birthday. I am taking my parents out for brunch, because I think we need a change of scenery. However, it is a family tradition to have a Carvel ice cream cake to celebrate birthdays! So tonight, we all had a piece, and I have to say ice cream has a way of bringing happiness! Sadly I don't eat much of it anymore because of cholesterol issues, but since I have lost 15 pounds in less than two months (without trying), I figure the cake is a good thing. 

No comments: