Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 19, 2023

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2007. I remember this day like it happened yesterday! Mattie and I walked from our home to Peter's office. We decided to visit, as this was Peter's first job in which he was given his own office space. It was a big deal for our family and we came together to celebrate that moment. While in Peter's office, Mattie started drawing on the white board. The content is no surprise to me, Mattie was fascinated by all forms of transportation. In addition, his tell tale symbol was always the SUN!!!


Quote of the day: There are only four kinds of people in the world: Those who have been caregivers. Those who are currently caregivers. Those who will be caregivers, and those who will need a caregiver. Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. ~ Rosalynn Carter


I love tonight's quote! In fact, the first half of Mrs. Carter's quote was used in Chapter 1 of my dissertation! I found her statement so meaningful as a graduate student. Now that she died today at the age of 96, I reflect on her humanitarian efforts, especially bringing awareness to mental health issues and bringing light to the stresses of family caregivers. Her caregiving efforts made a big impression on me back in 2002/2003, as I was writing my dissertation. In addition, I grew up with the Carters as a child, so when someone who is part of my history dies, it puts my life into context. 

I came across this article today, Rosalynn Carter, former first lady and tireless humanitarian who advocated for mental health issues, dies at 96. I am not sure what I expecting to read in this article, but what jumped off the page was her instrumental counsel and guidance she gave her husband in his political career and in his life. You know that famous quote that there is always a strong woman behind a great man, well in the Carter's case it was definitely true. If in doubt, this is what President Carter said in reflection of his wife's death.....Rosalynn was my equal partner in everything I ever accomplished. She gave me wise guidance and encouragement when I needed it. As long as Rosalynn was in the world, I always knew somebody loved and supported me.

I read that quote and it touched my heart. They were the longest-married presidential couple in U.S. history, and according to Jimmy Carter, he knew he was going to marry Rosalynn after their first outing. A love like that is hard to find and yet I do believe that such a strong and meaningful connection can transform and influence one's life. What I did not realize until I read about Mrs. Carter's death, was that she suffered from dementia. Dementia is a horrible disease that I find strips the intelligence and personality out of those we love. At one time, I truly thought, how difficult could this be in comparison to helping someone cope with cancer? The answer really is that they are two separate diseases, but both are devastating and both can suck the life out of the family caregiver. I would also say that losing someone to Alzheimer's is challenging, as it erodes the memories of the person you once knew and loved and it takes a lot of inner strength to find the balance for providing intense care for a parent and at the same time enabling them to have an intact level of dignity. 

No comments: