Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 28, 2023

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 -- Mattie died 739 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2006. Mattie was four  years old. This was an activity he absolutely LOVED to do in our living room. Mattie enjoyed building models and then painting them. As you can see he was working on building a dinosaur. He assembled the puzzle, glued it, and then painted it. The beauty of Mattie was he understood the concept of making a mess and knew he had to keep the glue and paint on the newspapers. I never had to stop him from running around the house spreading paint everywhere. In this sense, he was exactly like me!


Quote of the day: Grief ... gives life a permanently provisional feeling. It doesn't seem worth starting anything. I can't settle down. I yawn, I fidget, I smoke too much. Up till this I always had too little time. Now there is nothing but time. Almost pure time, empty successiveness. ~ CS Lewis


I am not a big social media person. In fact, if I did not run the Foundation, I probably wouldn't even have social media accounts. But because I need to spread awareness about Mattie Miracle, I manage a Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram account. Over the weekend, I received a text message from my good friend Mary Ann. She clued me in that something was wrong with my Instagram account. She asked if I sent her something and I said no. So she reported the interaction to Instagram. However, from there I received a cascade of messages, all kinds.... texts, emails, and phone messages from friends warning me that someone was posing as me on Instagram. This person set up an Instagram page that looked VERY similar to Mattie Miracle's and the name of the page was VERY close to my actual Instagram URL. In addition, this person was individually contacting my friends, asking them how they were doing, making pleasantries and then encouraging them to apply for a government grant. Now here is the interesting part about all of this!

Every single person who was contacted knew immediately it was NOT me! I am talking about people who know me well to people who know me only on the periphery. One of my childhood cancer friends was so disturbed by the messages she was receiving from the hacker that she literally called me on the phone. My friend has been going through her own trauma, so we haven't connected live in two years. But this hacker situation bothered her so much that she reach out to me. We both determined it was fate that we re-engaged at this point in our lives. Talk about something good arising from something sinister. 

But the message I took away from all of this is that people who have crossed my path (no matter what the capacity), seem to understand the high moral principle that guides my life. They knew immediately that I would never solicit them for funds in this manner and my cancer friend literally told the person who was pretending to be me that they were scum! 

Given all that is happening in my life now, I can't tell you how much it meant to me that my friends are looking out for me in this way and took the time to remind me that I live my life with high integrity and I have to say it is flattering to receive such feedback. 

No comments: