Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 11, 2024

Sunday, February 11, 2024

Sunday, February 11, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken on Valentine's Day of 2009, my last February 14th with Mattie. That day Mattie and his art therapists spent hours in the child life playroom creating! I wasn't allowed into the room until Mattie's projects were done. When I was invited in, Mattie surprised me with a Valentine's day box filled with cards, hearts, and unique creations. Mattie also made me a crown of paper hearts that was placed on my head. I will never forget that moment in time! So many of these special creations I turned into a collage (MANY YEARS LATER) right before we moved into our house in 2021. This collage hangs in my office and I see it daily. 

The collage in the lower shadow box was what I created for the many wonderful artistic items in my Valentine's box. The collage above it were items Mattie created in preschool! He was prolific and I cherish these items. 








Quote of the day: Pets are humanizing. They remind us we have an obligation and responsibility to preserve and nurture and care for all life. ~ James Cromwell


Sunny and me at Great Falls. Sunny absolutely LOVED his walks and outdoor adventures. I miss my walking buddy and since Sunny has died, I haven't walked outside at all. I have no interest what so ever. 




To my surprise, I received about 20 notecards in the mail yesterday. These cards were designed by Kim Richards, the local artist I had hired to generate four large paintings for our family room. The painting were going to capture the beauty of our property, the house, and of course Sunny. Given what has occurred in my life, I have put this project on a permanent hold. I can't tell you how this saddens me because this was something I was enjoying. I loved watching the compositions unfold, discussing changes and colors with Kim, and was looking forward to actively creating family heirlooms and memories. 

When I saw the scene on this card, all I could think of was life was so much better at that point in time. Similarly, when Mattie was diagnosed with cancer, I learned how profoundly one's life can change on a dime. Life is fragile and so much of our destiny is really out of our control. We can look for explanations, for causes, and try to bargain with God. But at the end of the day, things happen that I can't understand, that I can't wrap my head or heart around, and this quandary of not knowing, can generate great anxiety and depression. It can also be all consuming if you don't keep it in check. 

Sunday is the only morning I can sleep passed 6:15am. I truly did not want to get out of bed today. At 9am, I was almost finished getting dressed and my mom came flying into my bedroom in a panic. She was in a panic, as I learned, because she did not hear me. So she deemed that something was very wrong with me. Her panic, caused a panic within me, and these days, I don't need much to set me off. Later in the day, I took my parents to brunch. This is our one meal a week that we enjoy, and that I don't cook. While eating a song came on in the restaurant. Whenever I hear it, it stops me in my tracks. The song is, Have a Bad Day. 


Literally when I hear this song, all I can think of.... I didn't just have a bad day, I have had a bad life. What I particularly love about this video occurs toward the end, with a drawing of a woman sitting on a bench. I absolutely love how the two individuals who draw on it are building upon the story. This the beauty of human relationships. We all come to things with a different lens, and to me nothing says that louder than watching the drawing in this video. Through this drawing, feelings and emotions are conveyed that actually bring happiness and a new outlook and perspective to the other recipient. We as humans have the ability to help one another and I have found that the greatest joy in life comes from the power of that connection. 

No comments: