Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 15, 2024

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2006. Mattie was in preschool and that afternoon, we set up an arts and crafts area in our living room and worked on Valentine's for his teachers and classmates. I loved these kinds of projects and so did Mattie. He was focused and loved working with all kinds of media. By the time we were finished that day, we did over 14 Valentine's and I am so glad we had these moments together. In so many ways, having a Mattie, enabled me to move beyond the typical confines that set in with adulthood. I miss seeing the world through his lens!


Quote of the day: Petting, scratching and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer. ~ Dean Koontz


I have to tell you..... I LOVE this photo! Look at Sunny! He was literally watching a squirrel on TV! I kid you not. He was transfixed! Sunny loved anything that moved, but what I did not know was he could mentally process something that wasn't in three dimensions! Beautiful and super smart! He was an amazing boy. 



This morning my dad had his 9 week podiatry appointment. Herding my parents to the car to get to an appointment on time is NO small feat, I assure you. Both of them now need assistance and supervision.... there is one of me, two of them! Any case, the doctor told me I am doing a GREAT job with my dad's skin care and feet. Given that my dad has been a diabetic most of his adult life, I am contending with neuropathy in his feet as one of the many side effects. 

While at the podiatry office, I had the opportunity to talk to the office administrator. Turns out he lost his sister (age 35) to colon cancer less than two years ago. He mentioned this to me, after seeing my email address. So naturally we related quickly to each other, as a loss of a loved one, is a uniting factor. Almost as if we belong to the same culture, which speaks the same language. A language that is quite unique to the bereaved. 

Meanwhile at dusk tonight, it has begun! The deer are back and chomping away. The roses haven't even started to leaf out yet, but somehow seeing this sight reminded me that winter is hopefully going to be moving along and spring is upon us. I am not sure whether the warmer weather will improve how I am feeling psychologically, as warmer weather means more time outside. More time outside used to be a wonderful thing, but with my parents, regardless of the weather, I am pretty much locked up inside. In addition, my Sunny is gone. He was the perfect excuse to go out for a walk and now maintaining our house's garden alone doesn't seem as meaningful to me.  


No comments: