Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 23, 2024

Saturday, March 23, 2024

Saturday, March 23, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie was in the physical therapy clinic of the hospital. That day his therapist created a wall of plastic blocks. She knew that this would inspire Mattie to try to knock it over, and she was correct. Mattie sat behind it and with his feet and legs he was encouraged to use his muscles to break down this wall. Mattie liked that challenge and of course gladly complied with success.


Quote of the day: Our animal friends teach us more than we could have expected …And love us more than we could have hoped …… That’s why we miss them more than we could have imagined. ~ unknown


This was Sunny during one of his physical therapy sessions, post knee surgery. You can see that Sunny's back right leg was shaved from surgery. Sunny's surgeries happened during COVID, so for over a year, I never met his therapist in person! We only communicated by telephone. Through her voice and how she talked about Sunny, I knew she was a kind and caring individual. But you can see in this photo that Sunny wasn't happy and looked anxious. You probably can also see that the therapist had a Ziploc full of treats to coax Sunny to participate! No matter the situation, Sunny was typically open to accepting a treat!


This morning, while getting ready, I was listening to a podcast. Within the episode, they were talking about happiness and how society and different religions define it. Along the way, the story of the Chinese Farmer was conveyed to the audience. You can click the orange link to read the story in case, like me, you never heard it! 

In essence in the story all sorts of things happen to this farmer. With each new event, his neighbor has commentary. Either like, wow you are lucky, or wow how sad this has happened to you. Each time the neighbor provides feedback, the Chinese farmer's answer is "Maybe so, Maybe not." Regardless of the outcome, whether it is positive or negative, the farmer answers with this indifference. So the question is, what is the moral to the Maybe so, Maybe not story?

Probably the simplest interpretation is things may not be what they appear to be! A good thing, can have negative consequences, and a bad thing, can eventually produce a positive change or outcome. Or in other words, every situation or interaction has both good and bad outcomes. So I guess if I had to give a quick example, one could say that buying our beautiful house was a good thing. Most of society would view this as a positive. But this one positive, lead to a cascade of negativity, from becoming a 24/7 caregiver to losing my husband. Could I have predicted all of this would happen? No! 

On the other hand, Mattie getting diagnosed with cancer and then dying, is the ultimate in bad things that could happen to a family. However, now 15 years later, one could potentially say that I have taken Mattie's suffering and death and used that knowledge to help countless other children with cancer and their families. Perhaps that is a positive. Yet regardless of the outcome, a negative, will always be a negative in my book. I may have tried to do something positive with it, but at the end of the day, the loss of Mattie can never go away, it can't be fixed, improved, or made better. 

Some people view this story as a message to live in the present, and to try not to attach judgment to any one thing or event. That is easy said than done. The one thing this story does for me is it reminds me that even in good times, something bad may be right around the corner. I have experienced and witnessed this all my adult life. Yet, when I heard the story this morning, my immediate reaction was wow..... yes I feel like my life has ended and my world has come to a complete catastrophic shut down. But I can not predict the future. Perhaps there will be a purpose and meaning for this level of emotional suffering. Maybe things can improve and heal in ways I can't possibly even imagine now. 

No comments: