Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 14, 2024

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004. Mattie was two years old and for his birthday party, we put up paper and activities all over the front hallway wall. Mattie and the kids loved it! I left it up for several days and as you can see, Mattie continued to go to the wall and create. He was a busy fellow and the one thing Mattie always did was keep me on my toes. It took a lot of energy on my part to meet Mattie's needs for stimulation, activity, and exploration. At times he pushed me out of my comfort zone, but I would say, we learned a great deal from one another. 



Quote of the day: We are our pet’s Heaven and just because their physical body is no longer alive, it doesn’t mean their soul loves us any less. We are loved from beyond, and always will be. ~ Lyn Ragan


Today was quite the day! When I came downstairs there was a terrible beeping noise. It did not stop and just continued to get worse. I deduced it was from our alarm system. I frankly did not know what to do! I have many of these moments when I say..... I HAVE NO FREAKING CLUE HOW TO HANDLE THIS! I could flip out, but it would serve no purpose, because I have to be the adult on duty 24/7! 

I decided to get on the computer and do a live chat with our alarm company. I got connected to a lovely man. He helped me for 40 minutes. He was telling me to do certain things, and my response was.... HOW DO I DO THAT? He had great patience and with his assistance, I figured out the problem and corrected it. In the past several days, I have had to reach out to many professionals through live chat and each one, was very helpful. It is hard tackling things I don't know, but I am trying on manage each issue that arises. 

Last night, my mom and I watched a 1947 movie, Great Expectations. I had never read this Charles Dickens novel, but my mom can recall going to the movies with her mom at age 10 and watching this movie. It was fascinating hearing her recall her trip to the movies as well as my grandmother's reaction to the movie. Dickens' story is powerful. If you have never seen the movie, it is worth the investment. It has a huge moral message. What I took away from this tale is that life is filled with expectations, but sometimes what we expect and want isn't always what it is chalked up to be. Specifically what matters most in life and the source of happiness does not come from improving one's social class, wealth, or status. We all may want to re-invent ourselves at times, but this transformation will never be successful if we find ourselves compromising our core values, our loyalty, and love for those who matter most in our lives. 


Trailer to the 1947 movie:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vicki, since you don't work, I'm wondering how you are able to financially survive without Peter? If you are accepting any contributions, I'd love to help. Do you have Venmo or Zelle?

Victoria Sardi-Brown said...

That is very thoughtful of you to think of me during this challenging time. I invite you to contribute to Mattie Miracle. A Foundation established in my son's memory. It is the Foundation's fundraising season and donations directly support our psychosocial programs and initiatives that help children with cancer. Keeping Mattie's memory and legacy alive are my life's mission. Please visit our 2024 Walk Awareness website and consider supporting our cause:

https://virtual.mmcfwalk.com/d17fce/Campaign/Details