Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 16, 2024

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Tuesday, April 16, 2024 -- Mattie died 759 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2002. Mattie was about a week old. We were home from the hospital and as you can see I was exhausted. Trying to recover from a c-section, having a bladder tumor removed during the c-section, and dealing with post partum depression. None the less, Mattie and I found our way together. He absolutely loved napping with me that first month, and remember that overall Mattie was NOT a napper. Even as a baby! 


Quote of the day: People leave imprints on our lives, shaping who we become in much the same way that a symbol is pressed into the page of a book to tell you who it comes from. Dogs, however, leave paw prints on our lives and our souls, which are as unique as fingerprints in every way.Ashly Lorenzana


May day started at 5:15am. I had to get up that early in order to get my household ready for the day, so I could leave at 8:45am, to get to my doctor's appointment. I was gone from home for about two hours, and in that time, I went to the hospital, got gas for the car, checked the Foundation mailbox, picked up scripts at CVS and stopped at the grocery store. When I do not have anyone in tow, I can move like the wind. In a way, this two hours was very freeing, despite filled with chores. 

Once I got home, more chores and tasks began. One of the many things I am tackling is my mom's long term care insurance plan. I am getting a total run around from the company, and have been dealing with the application process since January! JANUARY! I am familiar with her insurance plan, since we activated my dad's (a companion) plan in 2020. In any case, I decided to take a gamble, and I reached out to my contact in Los Angeles. She worked closely with me when my dad was so sick and needed caregiving and home health care (nursing, OT, and PT). Mind you my parents have been living in Virginia with me for almost three years now. So it would be plausible that this contact in LA wouldn't remember me or even be working for the same company. 

Not only is she still working for the home care company, she is now the director of finance. I am NOT at all surprised. She is bright, efficient, professional, compassionate, and KNOWS her stuff. I wrote her a long email today explaining my issue with the long term care insurance company and within minutes she wrote me back. She actually knows my parent's policy information better than the long term care insurer. Hysterical no? Make a long story short, she is reaching out to the insurer on our behalf. She doesn't need to do this! We are no longer clients of her company, and I know she is a busy professional. There is no benefit to her by helping us. But this tells you the strength of her character and her commitment to others! She is another angel in my midst. Someone who goes above and beyond in their job. Because helping and supporting people are tantamount over numbers and money. This woman is a blessing in my day. Any one who wishes to help me, listens to what I am facing, and wants to be part of the solution, is a TOTAL gift to me. 

I loved this home care agency so much that it was painful to move my parents East. I truly trusted this agency, its administrators, and their loving and competent in home caregivers. To this date, I am still in text message communication with my dad's two caregivers. They were quality and loving women and believe me I am a tough job when it comes to caregiving. But if I were sick, I would welcome them caring for me any day. That is how much I appreciated them. 

I do think people attracted to caregiving are a special lot. It is a calling, not a job, and as such, we understand each other, and if a need arises, our reaction is WE WANT TO HELP or at least lend emotional support!

No comments: