Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 18, 2024

Thursday, April 18, 2024

Thursday, April 18, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004. This was right before Mattie's third birthday party! The theme that year was Blue's Clues. Mattie and I would decorate and brainstorm for days. I remember hiring an undergraduate student who was a part time magician. He did a great job at the party and even brought his pet bunny, Hobbes. Mattie had a great time and notice we were both dressed in orange. Mattie loved that color. No surprise that it became the official color of Mattie Miracle. 


Quote of the day: Absence is a house so vast that inside you will pass through its walls and hang pictures on the air. ~ Pablo Neruda


Last night I must have been so tired, that I fell asleep with the lights and TV on. At around 3am, I came to consciousness, was disoriented, but with it enough to shut everything off! I took my dad to his foot doctor appointment this morning. He sees this doctor every 9 weeks. When the doctor saw my dad's legs today.... he said, what's going on?! My dad is having another allergic reaction to the second statin drug we have tried. He was initially doing well on it, but after about two months on it, the intense itching started up. Given the significant nature of my dad's dementia, he can't help himself.... so he scratches and scratches! There is nothing I can do to prevent this, I have tried everything, including bandaging up his legs. 

In any case, about two weeks ago, I contacted his doctor and he agreed, we should stop the statin and try to reset my dad's system. Thank goodness I put two and two together and realized this was a drug reaction, otherwise, my dad would be ripping his skin off causing an infection. That happened with the first statin drug he was on, so I learned my lesson! 

Overall, it has been quite the day! My dad pooped in his pants twice and it was a big clean up job each time. On top of this, something is wrong with my car. So it has to go in next week. By around 4pm, I had just about had it! I had it with cleaning, meeting demands, and feeling abandoned and alone in life, so the only thing I could think of doing was to go outside. Since Sunny died, I have yet to take a walk. I have no interest in doing that now without my Sunny boy. My therapy is grabbing our big garbage bin and dragging it around our yard. I pick up branches, debris, and today also took on weeding. Pulling out weeds to me is very therapeutic! With my yard, there is a lot of therapy to be had, because removing weeds is like a full time job around here. 

I can't believe tomorrow will be Friday. So many people look forward to Fridays. I dread it. Because I know Saturday and Sunday have less structure and I have my dad in tow, which makes things far more complicated for me. But overall, what I struggle with is facing my life without my other half. My life has been very intertwined with Peter's. He has been a part of my life since I was 19 years old. It would be one thing if he died. That would be hard to face and accept, but my reality is far more painful than death, because at least in death, I would know that I was loved until the end. 

No comments: