Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 17, 2024

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Wednesday,  April 17, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2003. Mattie was one year old! I think Mattie's favorite place to be was outside! It did not matter what the weather was like... he preferred fresh air, space, and seeing signs of nature. Though I did not share this love at first, through being Mattie's mom, I came to appreciate the beauty that only nature can provide. 


Quote of the day: The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.Ben Hur Lampman


Today was another marathon day. After dropping off my dad at his memory care center, I came back home and greeted my mom's physical therapist and got her set up for her session. I then left them to work, while I drove to the bank for an appointment. I went to meet with a banker about Mattie Miracle's account. As I was sitting down with the banker, she looked up the Foundation in the State Corporation Commission (SCC) website. In Virginia, you create a nonprofit by filing "articles of incorporation" with the State Corporation Commission (SCC) and paying a filing fee annually. In any case, our re-instatement with the SCC was granted in January of 2024. Yet when the banker went onto the SCC site she couldn't find Mattie Miracle. If she couldn't find us on the site, this would be a huge problem for us and I wouldn't be able to continue with my bank appointment. 

I truly began to panic! It doesn't take much for me to go from zero to 80 within seconds. Any case, while she continued to search, I pulled out my cell phone and I showed her the image I had of our re-instatement. What was the problem? She did not enter our full name... The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation. She forgot the "The." Needless to say, I will never forget that moment in time or the fact that the full name has to be entered into the system. Any case, after that 45 minute appointment, I headed home. 

I juggled phone calls, and got more information about my mom's long term care insurance policy. All I can say is it is almost 11pm, and I am still working! So I am signing off for today, as I am very tired. I long for a day of rest and would love just one day where I wasn't facing a crisis or putting out a figurative fire.  

No comments: