Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 2, 2011

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2006. Mattie was four years old. He was going through his Lightning McQueen phase, which meant we saw the movie MANY times, collected all the toy cars from the movie, and played and acted out scenes from the movie on a regular basis. I most likely snapped this particular picture because Mattie got a hold of Peter's jeans and decided he was going to put them on and wear them around the house. Mattie had a very whimsical side to him and we were good at making each other laugh. Mattie's laughter is something Peter and I both greatly miss.


Quote of the day: God is closer to those with broken hearts. ~ Jewish Saying

I know that today is the first day of the New Year, and I am very aware of the fact that Christmas has come and gone. Yet to me, these were ordinary days. Ordinary because just like every other day in my life, I still felt sad, I still felt Mattie's loss, and I still remain wondering about the future. However, I would have to say that I did acknowledge it was the holidays on some level because it became even more apparent and heightened who was missing from our family and just how empty our lives are without Mattie. It is a rather daunting undertaking to think that every holiday from here on end will look and feel this way. I would like to be optimistic and hopeful, but I am also a realist. Mattie's death has greatly impacted Peter and I, and our family.

When I look at tonight's picture, I see so many things. I naturally see Mattie, but I see so much more. I see happiness, life, and energy. Mattie was all of those things. He gave Peter and I direction, focus, and also purpose. I also notice in the picture our home decorated for Christmas. Our home hasn't been decorated for Christmas in over two years. I almost have forgotten what that looked like, if I hadn't seen the pictures. But in all reality, why decorate for Christmas anymore? Why write another Christmas card? These things are NO longer important to me and I think these actions are symbolic of how I feel in my heart and mind. I am disconnected from life, and perhaps I will remain this way for some time.

This evening, I went out to dinner with my parents and their friend. I had heard of their friend, Ingrid, for years, but never met her. She is an animal lover and I got to hear about her five dogs and the work she has done with the animal rescue league. We happened to admire the sweater she was wearing tonight, and through my comment I learned that she lost her sister to brain cancer. It was her sister who gave her this sweater for New Year's a couple of years ago. She wears it each New Year's and it helps to remind her of her sister. I related to that story all too well.

I would like to end tonight's posting with a comment Karen (Keaton's mom) posted on the blog today. Just when I think Peter and I are in left field, I get a message from Karen that reminds me.... NO I am not alone in my thoughts and feelings. Karen wrote, "So exactly how I feel, also, Vicki. Can't hardly stand to think I now have to label my days with Keaton as "last year". Want to scream....want to beg...please, please, please, don't let it be real...please, please, I just want him back with me....   Can you tell I'm not really into the whole Happy New Year thing? Guess I need to just go to bed...to sleep..perhaps to dream...  Hold on to purple balloons...they surely must mean something more. Karen, Mother of Keaton for Always"

No comments: