Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 14, 2011

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2006. As you can see Mattie had a lot going on around him. He and Peter built their own version of a train roundhouse. Mattie had train tracks set up, trucks every where, and naturally Duplos (a younger form of Legos) scattered around. At one point in our home we most likely had enough Lego bricks to construct a large Lego couch for our living room!

Quote of the day: Man, when he does not grieve, hardly exists.  ~Antonio Porchia


I had the wonderful opportunity today to return to the art show and to see Jill's glorious works by daylight. It was a rare occasion in DC, the SUN was actually out, and it was warm. This provided the optimal conditions to see Jill's paintings. The rooms in which the paintings were displayed were bright, airy, and open. In fact, the paintings and the surroundings seem to speak to one another, as they visually called  visitors in further to study the art.

Though this was an art show, a portion of the proceeds from sales will be going to the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation. So to me, it was important that other board members were present and showed support and our appreciation. I was happy that Ann, not only my friend but a fellow board member, was there and had an opportunity to interact with Jill. I gave Jill a few gifts on behalf of the Foundation today because I knew she would appreciate having Mattie's Mr. Sun cards, Mattie postage stamps, and several forget me not butterfly seed packets. To learn more about Jill and to see some of her amazing works, please visit her website: www.jillsteenhuis.com


I would like to share some of the pictures I captured with you!


Here is a picture of part of the room displaying the 61 pieces of art. Our friend, Tina worked diligently with Jill to set up this room. As I told Tina, she was very successful. It was a positive sensory, emotional, and mental health experience for those of us in attendance. I am not sure how you could look at these paintings and not feel peaceful and serene. Better yet in touch with nature!






Every painting was simply vibrant and breathtaking. I would be happy to own any of these paintings. I can't say that about every artist's works I see! 




















These are wonderful still life paintings and I have a feeling if Donna's kindergarten class were here today, they would be having a field day with commentary!





















Since Mattie and I both LOVE red, I felt the need to capture this still life with a photo.
















Jill is a Sweet Briar College graduate, and these scenes were painted and inspired by the campus.














If this is not a tribute to Matisse, I am not sure what is! Matisse would have LOVED this composition. The colors and patterns are wonderful, rich, and bold. It just makes you want to enter this painting and sit down and have a cup of tea.















For some reason, this painting was my favorite. I think what intrigues me is it is a painting within a painting of a still life. The sunflowers capture my attention, along with the fascinating patterned pink and red table, and the fabulous paint palette holding many of the beautiful colors we see depicted on the canvas.

To Jill and Tina, we want to say a BIG THANK YOU! What a great show, and as I told Jill today, the gift she gave me was being surrounded by her art!


During the lunch hour, I had the opportunity to dine with my friend, Diane. Diane and I became friends through cancer. Her son and Mattie attend the same school, and her son is a brain cancer survivor. Diane came to the art event last night and today, and we had a delightful lunch together talking about a topic near and dear to our hearts, childhood cancer. It is hard sometimes to have this conversation with others, but for us this defines our life, our world, and our relationships. While eating, I had the opportunity to look out the beautiful window near us and to see green grass, flowering trees, and birds. It was a very peaceful setting and the ability to talk about our cancer experiences and to share our perspectives with each other was very positive for me.


I would like to end tonight's posting with a meaningful message from Karen's mom. Naomi wrote, "Honestly, Vicki, you are an amazing art teacher. I have been painting for a few years and have taken painting courses with experienced art teachers, but none of them offered such insights and enthusiasm for the creative process. You were able to open up their minds, dispel self-consciousness and help them relish colors and shapes and express what they see/felt, Your approach gave them both freedom and knowledge with results that were astonishing. Brava!"

No comments: