Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 22, 2011

Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday, August 22, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2007 in a rowboat on the Potomac River. As you can see Peter took Mattie out fishing. Mattie and Peter had their own fishing poles, lures, and tackle boxes. They enjoyed these adventures together. Even today, if you look in the trunk of Peter's car, you will find a tackle box. However, Peter hasn't been fishing since Mattie died. So in a way the tackle box remains in the car as a memory of weekend trips with Mattie.

Quote of the day: I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge - myth is more potent than history - dreams are more powerful than facts - hope always triumphs over experience - laughter is the cure for grief - love is stronger than death. ~ Robert Fulghum

When I think about what is in our car trunks, it does make me pause. Mattie may be gone physically from our lives, but his presence remains in our cars. If you should open my trunk you would think there was a child in my life. I have Mattie's car seat, stroller, toys, and Sponge Bob blanket in there. I am not sure why they remain in my car, but for now I am not moving them!

This September 8th, we will be acknowledging the second anniversary of Mattie's death. Peter and I are already giving thought to how we will spend this day. On the morning of the 8th, we have been invited by Peter's Georgetown University business school professor to give a presentation to his creativity and innovation class. His class has adopted the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation as their community based learning project. We are very excited to work with these young minds and hear their thoughts throughout the semester for creative ways for our Foundation to grow and develop. On the 8th, we will talk to them about Mattie, discuss his cancer battle, and share the video tribute of Mattie that we created for the Grand Rounds presentation in May. We will then talk to them about the Foundation and give them some ideas for things we need help with. I clearly know what we are doing the morning of the 8th, but I am not sure what we are doing for the rest of the day. We could plan another oak tree gathering at Mattie's school, like we did last year, but I am just not sure. As time moves on, so do others. I am very cognizant of this, and realize others may not need to have a remembrance in place like we do.

As I was driving this afternoon to meet my friends Tanja and Katharina (Tanja's 11 year old daughter) for lunch, I heard a song on the radio that immediately caught my attention. I knew very quickly the song was about cancer. Though the song primarily focuses upon breast cancer, I think it is quite applicable to anyone diagnosed with cancer and how it impacts a whole family. Needless to say, while driving and listening to the song, it made me cry. You can listen to this Martina McBride song for yourself, entitled, I'm Gonna Love you Through it.................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxIt70j_SPk

I haven't seen Tanja and Katharina for over a month. They have been traveling during summer vacation, and today we got together to share summer stories and compare notes on Alaska. We had a lovely lunch sitting outside and catching up. Though Katharina is 11 years old, she enjoys spending time sitting and chatting. In a way, this reminds me of myself growing up. I was always included in adult conversation, and whether I participated in it or not, I absorbed it and became a good listener. A skill that has served me well. I appreciate that Katharina wants to be engaged with me, and doesn't tune me out with an electronic device. I also should mention that regardless of where Katharina was this summer on vacation, she always emailed me to say hi. In fact, last week when I got a flat tire, she was concerned and was going to come over with her mom to help me. Needless to say, I appreciate this special connection with a young person and on some level I think Katharina understands this.   

No comments: