Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 19, 2014

Monday, May 19, 2014

Monday, May 19, 2014


Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2007. Mattie was out on our deck and showing off his new, "got lobster" t-shirt! I can't help and pause when I look at this shirt now, because this shirt has been integrated into Mattie's memory quilt. In fact when I see the patch within the quilt, I can remember this particular moment that you see on the deck! Isn't it interesting how the quilt captures these memories and in a way brings them to life in a three dimensional sort of way?! 





Quote of the day: Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia


I may need a few more days to return back to a more normal routine. At the moment I am still exhausted and wiped out from the Walk. Yet as Buscaglia's quote points out, kind words can make all the difference in the world. I received a beautiful email today from one of our newest supporters, Linda. Or as I call her, my "Mattie Miracle Ambassador." Linda was one of our Walk volunteers on Sunday and today, after laundering her event t-shirt, she wore it around town while doing some chores. She enjoyed the event and wanted me to know this, but it is her enthusiasm, her faith in what we are doing, and her belief that we can achieve our goals that truly make me feel supported. A supporter supporting the supportee. How do you like that?! I know I love it!!!

Later today, I received another email from a friend, who I met when our children went to preschool together. She wrote, "Just thinking of you - what an amazing day yesterday! The people, the cause, the activities - the raffle baskets! -- even the weather. You guys do such a great job. I thought of Mattie throughout the day and felt his spirit and your love and care in every detail." 

This email meant a lot to me because I am all about details. Tiny details, especially as it relates to capturing Mattie's memory. Such as playing the ABBA song, Dancing Queen, when the Walk began, to having Legos prominently featured at the event. Mattie LOVED Legos and Dancing Queen was his song of choice when doing physical therapy! I was so happy that another mom noticed and could also feel Mattie's presence with us on that track! I know that I can't be on that track without thinking of Mattie. To me that track is NOT just a track! But it is a place where we rallied in 2009, to help Mattie through his cancer battle. To me his presence will remain there. 

Which maybe why I personally feel that on Foundation Walk days, there can be NO rain! Mattie just won't allow it! Certainly every year there is a threat of rain, and in many cases, we have gotten quite close to being rained out. But in the end, that Mattie sun, always comes out! Mattie just wouldn't let it rain on me, NOT on a WALK day. Call it superstitious or illogical, but to me while everyone else is worried about the weather, this is honestly one thing I truly do not dwell on. I leave it up to Mattie and know he has it taken care of! 

No comments: