Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 20, 2014

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 -- Mattie died 245 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken during the Mattie March in May of 2009. Mattie was surrounded by his cousins. He had a big smile on his face and clearly was enjoying his time out of the hospital and with people who cared about him and wanted to support him. It was a day to be remembered, and it was that day that serves as the backdrop and foundation for all subsequent Walks! 


Quote of the day: Never be so busy as not to think of others. ~ Mother Teresa

Peter and I appreciate so many of the wonderful comments and feedback we are receiving about the Foundation's fifth anniversary Walk! We are still tallying up contributions toward the event and should have a grand total soon, but it is a complex total to calculate because donations for the Walk have been coming into the Foundation since March! This is NOT a just the "day of event" financial total! It makes me very happy to hear that people of ALL ages enjoyed our event, that they felt it was well organized, there were lots of things to do, and that it was hard to tear their children away from certain activities, such as the Legos hands on tent! Wonderful news! I received many compliments this year about the attention to details and the overall flow of the event! One person went so far as to say that it was clear the amount of time and attention paid to logistics, in order to make attendees feel relaxed, at ease, and cared for! The best compliment I could have received!!!

Our professional photographs are starting to come in and we are beginning to down load them! I will organize them and will share them soon. So stay tuned!

This afternoon, I literally was serenaded from Mattie's window. This bird caught my attention with his beautiful voice, so much so that I decided to go outside and look for him. When I looked up, this is what I saw!!!! This wonderful Cardinal. I always loved Cardinals, and they happened to also be Mattie's favorite bird. Then I met Mattie's favorite HEM/ONC nurse, Tricia, and Tricia shared with me her grandmother's philosophy about cardinals. She felt that when you see a cardinal that it is a sign and visit from a loved one who died. I always remembered Tricia telling me that, so when I saw and heard this beauty today, I couldn't help but wonder if this was a message from Mattie. Needless to say I was outside in our complex snapping photos and listening. I swear at one point, this bird was looking at me, as much as I was looking at him!

My parents and I spent the day together. My mom and I went to my zumba class this morning and then we all had lunch at one of Mattie's favorite restaurants in DC. On the way to this restaurant we unfortunately passed the funeral home in which Mattie's cremation took place. Every time I pass that location, I can't help but remember that moment in time. I can remember it as if it were yesterday. Every detail, even the room we sat down in to discuss arrangements. Not to mention seeing coffins and urns, and so forth. The visuals will always remain burned in my head. Even these many years later, and yes they all are triggered just by passing the outside of the building. 


It happened to be a glorious weather day, and despite neglect from sheer preoccupation with the Walk, our garden is thriving! I snapped some photos!










To me our flowers just look happy and when Mattie's fountain is on and flowing, it is a very peaceful spot. 

















It is a secret garden in a way, which isn't too secret, in the middle of a ton of buildings! Yet we have been trying to build up a wall of plants to block out the rest of the world. It seems to be quite successful!

No comments: