Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 11, 2015

Friday, December 11, 2015

Friday, December 11, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken on December 2, 2007. I posted two photos so you understand the series of emotions we were dealing with. In the first photo you can see that Mattie was all red and blotchy from crying. At the time, I am sure I was most frustrated with his tantrum. Now all I can remember is that Mattie had one but in all reality I can't remember over what the tantrum was about. 


Mattie was an emotional beast like myself. Which is why we understood each other well. But if you are not used to being around people who perceive their world and react to it in intense ways, then people like Mattie and me can be overwhelming for you. This second photo shows Mattie pulling out of his tantrum and I clearly got him to smile and turn a corner in how he was feeling. 




Quote of the day: Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again. ~ James R. Cook


I had my monthly licensure board meeting today. Do not even ask me how long I have served on this board. A long time! I was practically a different person when I started on the board. Yet because of my length of service, in a way I am like the purveyor of history. I was unable to attend and preside over last month's board meeting because I was in Florida with Peter presenting at a conference. You wouldn't think I could be missed, but apparently I learned today that I was! 

I honestly did not know I had this reputation, but maybe with the holidays approaching people let their guard down more and felt comfortable sharing things. So it turns out that my reputation is that of a TOUGH COOKIE, no nonsense, and spit fire. Well the spit fire descriptor didn't necessarily surprise me but I guess the other two did! Yet these are actually compliments because in the work that I oversee, which in some cases entails listening and judging ethical violations perpetrated by mental health professionals on members of the public, I feel one can't be wishy washy or a weak leader. My tolerance for unscrupulous and unethical behavior is LOW, and my radar for fishiness is HIGH. Over the years I have been very good at reading between the lines and to be able to ask questions that will get to the truth and the answers that are needed. 

After today's meeting, the staff were talking and of course I was still in the room. They were joking around and mentioned that at first glance when you look at me I seem petite and refined and therefore how threatening could I possibly be? Then they added, UNTIL I OPEN MY MOUTH, and the perception changes immediately! In any case, they made me laugh and smile today. I may be a mayoral appointed volunteer as licensure board chair for over a decade, but I have always taken my role very seriously and expect others working around me to do the same. 

No comments: