Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 8, 2015

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 -- Mattie died 325 weeks ago today. 


Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2007. It coincides with the photo I posted last night! In last night's photo I indicated that I visited Mattie's kindergarten classroom and shared a storybook with the children as well as invited them to decorate homemade gingerbread cookies. This was Mattie's final product! Mattie was a big marshmallow fan, as you can see. There is practically more marshmallow than cookie here. 





Quote of the day: There is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost.Martha Graham

I made my last candy donation today! It is a total thrill to have this behind me. I have seen enough candy this year for a lifetime! I wish I could say that things will now slow down for me, but I can't! 


I am starting our Foundation's Walk preparations even earlier this year. A friend of mine connected me to Fairlington Dental (http://www.fairlingtondental.com/), which is a dental practice based in Arlington, VA. Fairlington Dental has donated a significant amount of candy, two years in a row, to our candy drive. My friend mentioned that Fairlington Dental could potentially be a corporate sponsor of the Walk. So about a month ago I wrote to Dawn, the Practice Manager at Fairlington Dental. Dawn is a delightful person to communicate with and I was absolutely thrilled to receive in our Mattie Miracle mailbox yesterday a platinum sponsorship check for our Walk in May!!! Corporate sponsors are VERY important to Mattie Miracle, because it is thanks to their contributions and steadfast support that we are able to accomplish all of our psychosocial miracles. We are honored to have Fairlington Dental as part of our Mattie Miracle family! 

In fact, another friend of mine needed to see a dentist about her teeth. After reading a previous posting on the blog about Fairlington Dental, she decided to contact them. Mainly because she LOVED how supportive they are of Mattie Miracle's candy drive. In any case, my friend LOVES Fairlington Dental and has been having a fantastic experience with each visit. It is wonderful to get such feedback from a strong supporter! You maybe asking yourself where does Fairlington Dental get all that candy that they donate to Mattie Miracle. Well they get it from their patients. Fairlington Dental does a candy buy back program after Halloween. Patients can bring in up to 30 pounds of candy and for each pound, they will get a dollar in return! Rather a nice incentive! Then Fairlington Dental donates all the candy they receive to charity. In fact, we received 300 pounds of candy this year from Fairlington Dental! Way to go Fairlington Dental, we are so happy that we are connected through candy and through their financial support of our mission. 


Peter was going through electronic files in his office today and came across this Mattie art piece. Peter sent it to me and reminded me that Mattie created it one day while visiting Peter's office! That was Mattie.... bold, colorful, and creative! 

No comments: